Bottle / Carboy brushes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcbrown73

Clueless Winemaker
Reaction score
So I have a bottle and a carboy brush. I've noticed that they have started to rust near the brushes. I try to always rinse any chemicals off of them (k-meta / oxygen cleaner), but they are still rusting a bit and I can't really clean if all off.

Should I be worried about this? By other brushes that maybe aren't made of metal?

What is the correct answer to this issue?

As far as a carboy brush goes, I bought a Carboy Cleaner. Been the best investment. Not much to rust on there.
As far as bottles, I have no use for a brush. Mine are rinsed with hot water immediately after emptying.

I use the bottle brushes not on bottles, but on my wine thief and the gravity tester tube as an agitator to help the sanitation and of course get off any residual wine that may not have rinsed out. (sometimes I see a wine coloration to the water after I've rinsed it when I use the brush)

Last edited:
Have never had any issues with simply a good hot water rinse after use on any of my equipment. No need for brushing!

Bio-films definitely build up on the glass, so some physical abrasive is required to ensure it's clean. Just sayin... :a:b

I ordered one of the carboy cleaners. It arrives today. Using the catboy brush is for the birds! :h

I ordered one of the carboy cleaners. It arrives today. Using the catboy brush is for the birds! :h

You will be glad you did. I hook that up to my drill and am done in a couple of minutes.

Again, as far as my bottles, don't use a thing as they are rinsed with hot water immediately after emptying.

You will be glad you did. I hook that up to my drill and am done in a couple of minutes.

Again, as far as my bottles, don't use a thing as they are rinsed with hot water immediately after emptying.

I use the carboy cleaner as well and use the equivalent bottle brush. Both work great but you have to be careful with the bottle cleaner because the tip can fold over easily.

Latest posts

Back