Bottle Brush Marks on Glass.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becks the Elder

Country Wines.
Reaction score
Hi,

I recently acquired a load of demijohns from a guy that was retiring from the hobby. Some of the glass demijohns I got had aluminum / alloy marks left by bottle brushing (twisted wire type). Will these marks have any effect on wine put into the jars? Does anyone know if and how I should go about trying to remove the marks?

Cheers!

I seriously doubt a bad reaction from the marks. Your best source of info. would be the guy you got them from.

I would not worry. Clean the carboys real good before using. I use one of the "oxy" cleaners.
BTW how much..

I gave the guy £40 for 13 1 gallon demijohns, a 5 liter basket fruit press, a 25 bottle wine rack, a spare hydrometer, a five gallon bucket, a load of unused chemicals, a hand corker and a load of other bits and pieces. Most of it was a bit too shabby to use but the press alone must have been worth the price. Not a bad haul.

Good fortune was with you. In dollars $ US that figures out roughly to $100...you made a good deal.

Back