Quantcast

Bottle Age with CO2?

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

deneed4spd

Junior
Reaction score
I opened a bottle of en Premier super Tuscan I made approx 10 months ago. Tasted a bit bitter. Did EM on the kit. Compared to my LE cab Grenache that was made 3 months before this kit, the ST tasted way worse. I thought maybe it needs to be degassed more so I shook the bottle and it created gas. After that I tasted the wine and it tasted better. Thought I degassed pretty well but guess not. Question is, can I age the ST wine 2-3 yrs and then decant and still have good wine or will the extra CO2 prevent aging?

pillswoj

Canadian Member
Reaction score
The LE Cab Grenache is very drinkable at around a year (at least mine is) I would think the Super Tuscan would need 2 years or so.

rustbucket

Reaction score
A few batches of wine that I made ended up being bottled prior to removing all the gas. I used a Vacuvin wine pump to remove the gas when ever I opened a new bottle and it seemed to solve the problem. An alternative would be to give the bottle a good shake and then decant. Then let it sit a few hours before consuming. That worked for me also but it resulted in a lot of air getting into he wine so the whole bottle had be be consumed at one sitting. The taste of the wine was superb however.

Latest posts