Botched interpretation of Bendonite

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrashKan

Junior
Reaction score
I was gifted a small amount of Calcium Bendonite Clay and wasn't clear about mixing it initially. Instead of mixing 2tbs into a 1/2 cup 140° water and then mixing that slurry per tsp per gallon. I mixed 9tbs into 2 cups water. Would it be ok to use 1 tbs of that to clarify 4 gallons of mixed berry country wine

Let's do the arithmetic, TrashKan.
Let's say 1 T = 15 g, so 2 T = 30 g, Let's further agree that 1 C = 230 ml = 230 g , and so 1/2 C = 115 g. Let's agree that 15g of Bentonite + 115 g of water = 130 g of solution, and so if 1 t = 5 g which is 5/130 of the solution. = 0.038 of the solution you are asked to apply to each gallon. To apply this then to FOUR gallons, you need to multiply 0.038 by 4 = or .153 9or more than 1/10th of the volume of the solution Bentonite asks you to make.
But , you mixed 9T which is 135 g in 2 C (which = 460 g) and so the total volume/weight = 595 g total, 1 T = 15 g which is 15/595 = 0.025 which is what you want to apply to 4 gallons. You need to add SIX times the 1 T , or 6 T to add the correct amount of the clay slurry... That's my story and I am sticking to it.

Let's do the arithmetic, TrashKan.
Let's say 1 T = 15 g, so 2 T = 30 g, Let's further agree that 1 C = 230 ml = 230 g , and so 1/2 C = 115 g. Let's agree that 15g of Bentonite + 115 g of water = 130 g of solution, and so if 1 t = 5 g which is 5/130 of the solution. = 0.038 of the solution you are asked to apply to each gallon. To apply this then to FOUR gallons, you need to multiply 0.038 by 4 = or .153 9or more than 1/10th of the volume of the solution Bentonite asks you to make.
But , you mixed 9T which is 135 g in 2 C (which = 460 g) and so the total volume/weight = 595 g total, 1 T = 15 g which is 15/595 = 0.025 which is what you want to apply to 4 gallons. You need to add SIX times the 1 T , or 6 T to add the correct amount of the clay slurry... That's my story and I am sticking to it.
I appreciate the breakdown on the math. Having sustained a severe head trauma recently I find it difficult to maintain a certain level of clarity at times

I was gifted a small amount of Calcium Bendonite Clay and wasn't clear about mixing it initially. Instead of mixing 2tbs into a 1/2 cup 140° water and then mixing that slurry per tsp per gallon. I mixed 9tbs into 2 cups water. Would it be ok to use 1 tbs of that to clarify 4 gallons of mixed berry country wine
9 Tbls into 2 cups of water must have been a treat. I find mixing small amounts slowly makes it easier to handle. I’m surprised you didn’t have a clay ball.

9 Tbls into 2 cups of water must have been a treat. I find mixing small amounts slowly makes it easier to handle. I’m surprised you didn’t have a clay ball.
I had actually mixed it in an old Fireball pint bottle and spent the majority of the evening Shaking it around and my lovely wife took turns with me

I had actually mixed it in an old Fireball pint bottle and spent the majority of the evening Shaking it around and my lovely wife took turns with me
Kit wines typically state to mix 2 Tbsp bentonite in 2 to 4 quarts of hot water.

On the plus side, you got your exercise for that evening! ;)

My thoughts too. Thought you were adding later. Funny how things get mixed up typing where in person would be no problem. Arne.
Me too...but this isn't a kit, it is 40# strawberry, 25# cherry and 15# blueberry. I am fortunate to be friendly with the produce guy at the local grocery store and we have an arrangement

Latest posts

Back