books - The Home built Winery

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reefman

Reaction score
"The Home built Winery" by Steve Hughes
Has anyone read this book, and made any of the equipment?
I'm thinking about buying it.

Doug, I have the book although I have not made anything from it. If you are reasonably handy with carpentry tools, you can make a lot of useful items for your winemaking area. The book does not have detailed plans but does have the essentials and if you understand mechanical illustrations, you will have no problems.

Thanks Rocky, I was afraid of that.
One of the reviews I read on another website said it had plans and instructions for 30 pieces of equipment.
I appreciate the response.

I have seen the book. I am not very mechanical but have worked in DoD compliant engineering offices and I did not think his drawings or explanations were really very clear. The wood work is relatively OK but when he tries to explain how to make devices to attach to racking tubes his drawings are anything but clear, because IMO, he fails to break down the construction so that you can actually see clearly what the components look like, what their part numbers or names are and how they in fact fit together. But perhaps someone with greater mechanical flair than I would have a very different impression.

Doug, I also own the book. Great book, lots of interesting ideas. It has a place in your library. Steve is very knowledgeable and also a regular contributor to Winemakers Magazine.

I have the book, and have made a number of the items in it. I can see how it could be a bit short on tutorial, but I was an advanced wood worker before, so I can read between the lines. It is a good book, he does a good job of showing how you can save money.

thanks for all the replies. I do have some woodworking skills, and a shop full of tools. I ordered the book on Amazon today.

Got the book, and I agree, it is priceless. He has some great projects in there that I plan on building over the winter.
I've read the book from cover to cover, and I just got the book a week ago.

Latest posts

Back