Bochet Mead

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most beekeepers sell what they refer to as "melter honey" it's the honey that sticks to the wax capping's and is run through a capping's melter. the wax is separated from the honey in its liquid state and is more or less a by product of the wax at that point. They will usually sell it for about half the going rate of their honey, it is sometimes called bakers honey. Already nice and dark brown and half the price.
Dave

Sounds like a good way to start, expsicaly since u r going to cook it farther I gather?

This is why I love this board. I’d never even heard of Bochet Mead and now I can’t wait to make some.

Pressure cooking in canning jars is the way to go. Clean and quick, and no burning. I lost track of all the places I researched but have three gallons going now and will start another five soon
Real has enhanced the honey flavor overall
Leave a little extra head space in jars.
I followed cooker instructions and cooked about 20 min after regulator started rattling at 15psi may go 15 next time
Will do an extra jar for back sweetening and to just use for food.

I have my yeast starter going, 15lbs of honey and a big smile!

I have bees
I started making mead to use up honey because I needed the bucket. Lol.
Two more three gallon five five gallon a bunch of 1 , 3/4 and 1/2 gallon car boys a floor corker a steel press and so much more later.
I could have just gotten another bucket, ha I did. 2 more
Just got the press so this fall its a brute full of cyser bochet this fall

Pressure cooking in canning jars is the way to go. ...
I followed cooker instructions and cooked about 20 min after regulator started rattling at 15psi may go 15 next time

Just be careful! (Look at ceiling.)

DXTGqvMWAAA9JDf.jpg

You cant see what stage the caramelization is at when you pressure cook it.

There are different nuances at different stages in the process,
If you always set it and forget it for the same amount of time, you'll never experience this.

I always did it on the stove top, carefully.
You need a pot with 4-5 times more volume than the amount of honey you're working with.

My preferred yeasts for a bochet are the same as my preferred for any mead - D47, 71B, and /or DV10. My preferred method of caramelization is in a crock pot (slow cooker). The idea is to caramelize the honey and not burn it. Burnt honey is carbon and tastes like crap. You want the honey to darken - not blacken.

So it starts! In the wife’s instant pot.

Attachments

• ABAFCDC6-468F-4F45-9388-B665D9CA7D34.jpeg
    ABAFCDC6-468F-4F45-9388-B665D9CA7D34.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 17
I made about half the honey uses canning jars in the pressure cooker (above). And then I made the second half on the stove top. Wow, that was fun. I wanted the second batch to get a little darker, but in the end, it all looks the same.

Latest posts

Back