BM4X4 Yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berry Juice

Berry Juice
Reaction score
Hello All,
Starting a new batch of WE Select Cab this weekend.
I also picked up some BM4X4 yeast.
I have read some post that says it's a nutriant hog.
Is there something else I need to make sure this yeast works properly?

Hello All,
Starting a new batch of WE Select Cab this weekend.
I also picked up some BM4X4 yeast.
I have read some post that says it's a nutriant hog.
Is there something else I need to make sure this yeast works properly?

Just a normal Fermaid K nutrient program is all I’ve ever used, 1/2 at start of activity, 1/2 at 1/3 sugar depletion.

The recommended dose that Fermaid recommends is significantly less than the amount recommended by the MoreWine! guide... Which program would you follow?

The dude at my wine store didn't have Fermaid K.
He said the Diammonium Phosphate was the same thing.
1/2 - 3/4 tsp. per 5 gal.
Is this correct? If so, How much should I add if 1/2 at start of activity, 1/2 at 1/3 sugar depletion?

I also picked up some Yeast Energizer (Nutrient Booster)
It says 1/2 tsp per gal.
Is this what i should use to start the yeast or use 1/2 at start of activity, 1/2 at 1/3 sugar depletion? (3 tsp. total for 6 gal)

DAP (Diammonium Phosphate) isn't the same thing at all as Fermaid K.

From the ScottLabs site - Fermaid® K is a blended complex yeast nutrient that supplies ammonia salts (DAP), free amino acids (organic nitrogen derived from inactivated yeast), sterols, unsaturated fatty acids, key nutrients (magnesium sulfate, thiamin, folic acid, niacin, biotin, calcium pantothenate) and inactive yeast.

I would highly recommend keeping a eye on BM4x4 as it can get quite a lot of off aromas and flavors, just make sure you give it the air it needs and the food it needs and keep a eye on it. And watch for sulfur.

So just stir it more than usual.
Should I use the Yeast Energizer (Nutrient Booster) until my fermaid k comes in?

So just stir it more than usual.
Should I use the Yeast Energizer (Nutrient Booster) until my fermaid k comes in?
Yes, But Fermaid would be better. To limit the chances of Hydrogen Sulfide which is the egg smell. That will ruin your wine because if it gets bad its basically unfixable.

The recommended dose that Fermaid recommends is significantly less than the amount recommended by the MoreWine! guide... Which program would you follow?

Guess it depends upon whether I felt I had a high or low YAN must, I’m pretty liberal with my Fermaid K use and wouldn’t hesitate to use the higher dosage rates.

You can use the DAP at the 1st one if u don’t have anything else. But at the 2nd nutrient dose personally I would add nothing if all You got is the “yeast energizer”/DAP-assuming that’s what it is. It’s all white tiny crystal looking correct?
And FWIW I just did 2 full doses myself instead (x2) half doses. One K and 2nd one O. Experimenting a little bit. So far so good. Good luck

You can use the DAP at the 1st one if u don’t have anything else. But at the 2nd nutrient dose personally I would add nothing if all You got is the “yeast energizer”/DAP-assuming that’s what it is. It’s all white tiny crystal looking correct?
And FWIW I just did 2 full doses myself instead (x2) half doses. One K and 2nd one O. Experimenting a little bit. So far so good. Good luck

Good point, I do keep DAP in my wine room, if I ever get the slightest off whiff of H2S, don’t hesitate to hit It with a little shot.

Every time I've used BM4x4, I've had to add nutrient once the ferment has reached a lower SG (like in the 1.020 range) to keep the egg like smells at a minimum. For that I'd suggest having some Fermaid O on hand since it can be assimilated at higher alcohol levels than Fermaid K or DAP (http://catalogapp.lallemandwine.com.../670029505c1db6d06e5c8ca911922c6d74842ad4.pdf). The idea in either case is to make sure there is no left over nutrient once fermentation is complete so that the nutrient can't be used by undesirable organisms that could potentially compromise the flavor of your wine.

Oh, forgot about this post, very well written and quite informational:

https://www.winemakingtalk.com/threads/yeast-nutrients.39655/

Last edited:
I have read all the post and not clear on how much Fermaid O should be used.
I have seen 20g to 40g.
Should I weigh it out or just add 1 tablespoon per 6 gal?

Recommended dosage for O is 1.5g per gallon of must. Whereas K is 1g per gal.

Whether or not you decide to use one dosage split in 2 additions- or 2 separate full doses (I see both ways written) is up to the winemaker. Poetic license [emoji869]

* if you’ve got a scale then might as well go by weight

OK I just hit it with Fermain O to the BM4X4. which bring me to my next phase to my project. I have a 5.5gal of WE Cab with the BM4X4 & a 3 gal of MivinoCab with RC212.
Both are at SG 1.02. When I introduce them together in my 8.5gal vessel after hitting the SG .998/.996 mark, should I let them sit together for a few days before hitting the Chems or just as soon as I put them in the tank?

Latest posts

Back