BM 4X4 vs RC212

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineview

Still waiting.........
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Going to start a Petite Syrah. Kit came with RC 212 but I was thinking of using BM 4X4. What is the difference between these two yeasts.

Both have rather high nutritional needs, but RC-212 is known to cause H2S if it is stressed, where BM4x4 is more H2S resistant. They also will accent different characteristics in the wine.

This is a great resource.

https://morewinemaking.com/web_files/intranet.morebeer.com/files/wyeastpair.pdf

I was told BM4x4 is adapted from BM45 so you would get these characteristics from it in a P. Syrah.

BM45: Big mouthfeel, emphasizes the fruit and structure
along with some earthy and spicy elements. Good colour
stability and helps to minimize vegetative characters.

RC212 isn't listed under P. Syrah, but is noted to accent berry and fruit flavors.

RC212: Ripe berry, bright fruit and spice. More structure
than mouthfeel, with good colour retention.

There are some on this forum that feel the risk of H2S from RC212 makes it not worth using. I have used both, but added additional nutrients to both musts. If I were to choose, I would use BM4x4, but either is a good choice. Especially if RC212 is included in the kit, the kit maker would have accounted for nutritional needs and adding more shouldn't be required for either.

Last edited:
I think you are fine using either, I like both of them. If you have some $$ try one for the first batch, the other for the next batch. Just take care of the yeast during fermentation and you'll be just fine. There is a short pdf on rehydrating yeast and feeding it during fermentation that may give you some ideas. If the yeast is happy, very little H2S will normally occur.

https://morewinemaking.com/web_files/intranet.morebeer.com/files/wineyeastrehydration09.pdf
Hope that helps!

I think you are fine using either, I like both of them. If you have some $$ try one for the first batch, the other for the next batch. Just take care of the yeast during fermentation and you'll be just fine. There is a short pdf on rehydrating yeast and feeding it during fermentation that may give you some ideas. If the yeast is happy, very little H2S will normally occur.

https://morewinemaking.com/web_files/intranet.morebeer.com/files/wineyeastrehydration09.pdf
Hope that helps!
I add a dose of Fermaid O in the must the day before pitching yeast. Then I make a starter with Go Ferm. Two days into fermentation another dose of Fermaid O.

I add a dose of Fermaid O in the must the day before pitching yeast. Then I make a starter with Go Ferm. Two days into fermentation another dose of Fermaid O.
Sounds like you are on the program I have used on past batches, you'll be good, just hit it with O if you think it starts stinking too much down the road!

Latest posts

Back