WineXpert BM 4x4 not responding

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiverRat

Reaction score
Dear wine sages,

I did a yeast swap on Thursday and pitched a BM4x4 rather than the EC1118 in my SLD Merlot. Today is Saturday, and still no action. I preformed the same swap in the same conditions two weeks ago on a malbec without any problems. Wine temp has been holding steady at 75 degrees (73 ambient). I do not have a lot yeast options at my house (a few Cellar Science for reds and EC-1118), and I live several hours from a supply store. Also, I am leaving town this Thursday for four days. Should I wait and see if this guy kicks in, order a different yeast to pitch right before I leave, or pitch the original EC1118 today? Your thoughts are always appreciated.

I often have kits that take 2 or 3 days to get bubbling so I would not be concerned just this early especially since you used the same yeast two weeks ago, if your fermenter is air tight id leave it alone and check back in a few days and test gravity.

I would give it a few more days and make sure you are stirring it pretty good.

Since you are so far from the store, I'd wait a few days and pitch the EC-1118 early next week if it doesn't get going. I agree BM 4x4 can be a slow starter.

BM4X4 can be a slow starter.

Exactly. I was almost about to throw 1118 into fermenter 3 days after pitched 4x4 and fortunately I saw the bubbles coming up.
once it started, it went very quickly.

Last edited:
Thank you to all for your advice. As of this morning, there is still no action. I will wait another day, and if something is not happening by Monday morning I will pitch the EC1118. Can wine go bad if it doesn't start fermenting within a few days?

how are you adding the yeast ?

I will start with go ferm and add some wine to a separate container and add the yeast - do not stir - put in a dark place for 30 minutes until it is defintley active and then pour it into the batch of wine - do not stir

how are you adding the yeast ?

I will start with go ferm and add some wine to a separate container and add the yeast - do not stir - put in a dark place for 30 minutes until it is defintley active and then pour it into the batch of wine - do not stir

A dark place? Is that to get them in the mood? :)

It is possible that the yeast is dead. I experienced once for 71b. After that, I always re-hydrate before pitching to make sure the yeast is viable.

There is a risk of spoiling if you leave the must alone without fermentation for too long.

Must have been dead because still no activity as of this morning (Monday). I went ahead and pitched the EC1118 just now. Thank you to all for your guidance through this process.

Lessons learned: a) always have backup yeast when living in the boonies, b) re-hydrate swapped yeast to ensure viability.

Should I be concerned regarding spoilage at this point? Anything else I should look for? Will the dead yeast change the wine?

Should I be concerned regarding spoilage at this point? Anything else I should look for? Will the dead yeast change the wine?

Not really. Just keep your senses about you for off smells in primary. Maybe give it a taste coming out of the secondary and see how it tastes. Punch your wine down twice a day and maximize your wine's exposure to the skins. You should be fine.

The dead yeast won't change the taste of your wine. It'll sink to the bottom and hang with the other gross lees.

Latest posts

Back