blueberry wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hillbilly

Junior
Reaction score
hello all,
i really need some help! I have 5 gallons of bluberry wine on its in the second rack and has no blueberry flavor.......i dont want to add any extracts if possible .....can someone please give me some advise on this please

Thank you
Hillbilly

If you plan to sweeten, you can add more blueberry flavor back with a blueberry f-pac (flavor pac?). Anyways, here is a good post on f-pacs:

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4781&highlight=fpac

Basically an f-pac is using some fruit (in your case blueberries) to make a sweetening "package" that includes this fruit to add back the original flavor to the wine. You add it after you have stabilized the wine (ensuring the sweetening does not start the fermentation back up). Use potassium sorbate to stabilize. An f-pac generally means that you'll need to let it clear again, although it may not take as long as the original wine.

Wade had a good post on how to make an f-pac, but I can't seem to find it. Anyone?

If you don't plan on sweetening, then I don't know of any other way to add back flavor barring extracts. Aging can often bring back flavors that have gone missing though. Sometimes at early rackings the wines are pretty harsh and the flavors don't really present themselves.

Last edited:
The f-pac would be the way to go, you could do this with approx. 1/3 the amount of fruit used to make this and this is done by simmering all this fruit in a pot with just a very little water and cook it for about an hour, I usually add a bit of sugar while doing this. I do this when making wine with about 6-8 lbs per gallon batch so if you are under that amount you will want to up the amount of fruit used. You could also do this a simpler way by using Wyman's Wild Blueberry juice and simmer the juice down to about 1/3 its original size. The reason for concetrating this down is so as not to dilute your wine down with all the water in the juice or fruit as that will evaporate so youll get the sugar and flavor but not water down your wine losing its mouthfeel and body.

Wade, where do you get Wyman's Blueberry juice? I've never seen it for sale.

You'd be amazed how much flavor comes back even with just a little sugar added. I've back sweetened with some juices and it really adds or can compliment the flavor.

hello all,
i really need some help! I have 5 gallons of bluberry wine on its in the second rack and has no blueberry flavor.......i dont want to add any extracts if possible .....can someone please give me some advise on this please

Thank you
Hillbilly
1st Welcome!
I almost always have a Blueberry going (like now)
How many #'s per gal do you use? Better yet lets see the recipe.

Latest posts

Back