Blueberry Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bweiser1908

Junior
Reaction score
So I’m starting a 5 Gal blueberry wine today. Just wondering if anyone else’s blueberry wine came out good? I started with 15 pounds of frozen blueberries, 5 Campden Tablets, Pectic Enzyme as directed, Acid blend (1 table spoon) saw this amount on YouTube. 10 Pounds of sugar. Haven’t tested SG yet. Wanted to wait until tomorrow before I pitch the yeast to see if I needed to add anymore. If anyone has any other tips during fermentation or after... let me know! Thinking about trying to ferment this a little cooler to keep the fruity flavors and aromas.

Better test the ph. My store bought frozen blueberries was started out real high. 3.64 ph and TA 3%. I had to add acid blend to get the ph down to 3.4–3.6 range

so it all depends on the blueberries

15 lbs of blueberries for 5 gallons. That's going to produce a wine that is "Very Light on the palate." Normal rate for most of us starts around 5lbs/per gallon.

We've been seeing a wide variance lately in blueberry wine pH measurements which makes me wonder if there is a new commercial variety of blueberry. In any case, as with ALL fruit wines check the pH once you have your fruit well mashed and volume about where you want it. Until this year I had never heard of a blueberry wine that suffered from a high pH (low acid) but that seems to be a new trend. Just check it carefully with a pH meter (Don't waste your time with pH test strips on Blueberry wine.)

I made blueberry wine last year and it was my family favorite. This year I am using 5 lbs. of fruit per gallon. Ditto on measuring the pH with a meter. I needed to add some acid blend. These were fresh blueberries from a local farm.

Back