Blueberry wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is this math correct?
If I have 15 lbs or 3 parts at 1.162 and add 5 lbs or 1 part at 1.020 would the new gravity be 1.127?
3 X 1.162 + 1 X 1.020 / 4 = 1.127, it just doesn't seem right.

Except for missing parentheses, looks right to me: (3 X 1.162 + 1 X 1.020) / 4 = 1.127. I think that you are thinking about it the correct way.

I think adding more blueberries woul be the best route. At your current pounds per gallon it won't be a bad idea to bump it up a little. The pH is a bit low but you might get it to start as long as the temp is good.

Is this math correct?
If I have 15 lbs or 3 parts at 1.162 and add 5 lbs or 1 part at 1.020 would the new gravity be 1.127?
3 X 1.162 + 1 X 1.020 / 4 = 1.127, it just doesn't seem right.

You’ll probably need more than that, your SG is pretty high. Theoretically, another part of berries (total 10 #) would get you down to 1.105, still pretty stout, a smidge of water to the finish line wouldn’t hurt a strongly flavored berry like blues.

Added the 5 lbs to each but it only brought it down to 1.030. Added water to get to1.092 nine additional cups each. Funny thing is the acid didn't change much. In fact the pH dropped to 3.15 but I think I can get the fermentation started. Had sucxess in the past lower than this.

I'm really new to this. I just started my 1st 5 gallon batch using:
12# frozen Blueberries + 2# of frozen wild blueberries
11# white sugar
2TBS Acid blend
5/8 tsp tannin
5 tsp Y nutrient
1 TBS Y energizer
3/4 tsp pectin enzyme
Red Star Premier Blanc Yeast (it's what I had)

The SG went from 1.040 to .996 in 5 days in the primary! It had a very full, delicious blueberry taste (considering its age).

I racked it into gallon carboys where it has sat another 10 days with lots of lee. I expect to rack again in a couple of days when I get my All In One Pump as recommended here.

Is it a good or bad thing that fermentation was so fast?

Oops! I typed the wrong number. The SG was 1.100 before I pitched the yeast, 1.040 after 3 days, and .996 after 5 days.
That doesn't sound particularly fast to me. ... I have seen full-strength fermentations go that fast. I think you are fine!

So I assume you still don't see that as too fast. Is that closer to what you call a "full-strength" fermentation?

My adjusted must is being frozen for a few weeks. Once it's thawed and ready to pitch I'll have to retest it. I used 10# of sugar in 40# of berries and the SG jumped to 1.160. Had to add about
1 3/4 gallons of water to get it to 1.092. The reading with the refractometer had a similar converted reading. Our berries must have had a significant sugar difference for those initial readings to be so different..

Oops! I typed the wrong number. The SG was 1.100 before I pitched the yeast, 1.040 after 3 days, and .996 after 5 days.

So I assume you still don't see that as too fast. Is that closer to what you call a "full-strength" fermentation?

Yeah, that is what I had in mind by "full-strength." I'd say your went a little fast, but only by a day or so. I don't see anything to be concerned about,.

Inoculated today after sitting in the freezer for 10 days. All the readings were the same, pH 3.15/SG 1.102. Made starter slurries of K1-V1116 and 71B so I'm pretty sure it will start with the low pH. Both batches are about 4 gallons made up of 20 lbs berries 13 cups water and 5 lbs sugar.

Pressed the blueberry today and got almost 7 1/2 gallons. There is a lot of sediment so I'm hoping to get 6 gallons. It's very dark and I know it will lighten when it clears but I wonder how much keeping the prepared must frozen for 10 day helped. Took almost 2 weeks to get to .993.

Latest posts

Back