Blueberry Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you smash the blueberries in the bag and add the sugar water you are looking for 1.085-1.095 let's say. My question is won't the pectic enzyme and the fact that the berries are sitting in the liquid extract more sugar into the must and raise your SG?

Thanks

Yes to a point. Thats why I wait 24-36 hours after adding PE before ckecking the gravity so I can caculate how much sugar to add

Thanks, so if I am going to need 12-16 pounds of sugar, I should use about 8-10 pounds then add pe and after a 36 hrs dial in the appropriate SG?

I'm fixing to start this receipt. The wife and I just went out this morning and picked two Walmart bags full of blueberries. Not sure how much weight that is now, but the price was about.... $0.00 per pound. Not bad. More where that came from. My uncle has got three huge blueberry bushes in his yard and told me to get as many as I wanted.

Cleaning them now and getting them ready to freeze. Just weighed them and found it's only 15.5 pounds. Now, I have to go pick some more to get the 25 - 30 pounds needed for this project.

Last edited:
i just started a 5 gallon batch of blueberry. One issue I have is I put 5 crushed campden tablets in the must to kill the wild yeast. I am seeing different reports of people using 1 tablet per gallon and 1/4tsp. I am pretty sure 5 tablets is more than 1tsp.

Hope I am alright, I am going to let it sit for 1 1/2 days and add yeast!!!!

5 tabs = 1/4tsp of K-meta powder.

U R fine.

Post ur recipe

Blueberry wine recipe-5 gallons
Primary bucket(probably 8 gallons if totally full to brim)
7lbs Fine White Sugar
1 liter of Red Grape Concentrate
1 Jumbo Nylon Straining Bag 18”x32”

5 campden tablets crushed
2.5 tsp. Acid Blend
2.5 tsp. Pectic Enzyme
3 tsp. Yeast Energizer
1 tsp. Grape Tannin

Lalvin 71B-1122 yeast 1 pkg

1) Freeze blueberries in ziplocks
2) Thaw blueberries overnight
3) Heat up gallon of water and mix in 7lbs of sugar, let cool
4) Sanitize everything with Potassium Metabisulfite solution including hands
5) Add 2 gallons of water to primary, mix in sugar water, red grape concentrate, acid blend, pectic enzyme, yeast energizer, grape tannin, 5 well crushed campden tablets
6) Hold large nylon bag and have someone pour in berries from ziplocks while over primary, lightly squeeze nylon with one hand ~10 times, tie knot and place in primary
7) Top off bucket to 6 gallon mark(making 5 gallon recipe)(my test run showed 25 lbs of berries raises water level by 1.8 gallons, will need the berries to create a gallon of water to get me to 5 gallons, I was told this would happen)
8) Mix the solution while holding berries to the side to fully mix
9) Take SG measurement, got 1.085
10) Took acid level measurement with paper thingys, got 3.5 but heard the paper testers are not reliable at all
11) Cover primary with Clean towel for 1.5 days, was told this helps potassium metabisulfites to evaporate
12) Sanitize mixer, stir up primary to add oxygen to solution, punch down fruit
13) Pitch yeast
14) Cover with lid and airlock
15) Punch down fruit each morning
16) Rack into secondary after 7 days
17) Throw a party on day 8 and drink all the wine, go back and repeat step 1

--update....I just took a SG after 1.5 days and the AG is 1.08. WinCalc says I should add .55 pounds(~just over a cup of fine sugar for 5 gallons), then pitching yeast

Last edited:
How many #'s of blueberry did U add 25#?? I cant see how 6 gal of water and blueberry fit in a 8 gal bucket

Hey Tom, would regular frozen blueberries work or does a person need to get there hands on some wild blueberries to do this recipe justice? Thanks

Thanks!! I may be a little slow so forgive me but it diesant say how much water, do I top up the primary to the 3 gallon mark?

First try at blueberry wine

Hi all. I'm getting ready to start a batch of blueberry wine and I've been checking out different recipes. I found the following 1 gallon recipe on Jack Keller's site:

2 lb. blueberries
1 lb. raisins
2 lb. granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. pectic enzyme
1-1/2 tsp. acid blend
1/2 tsp. yeast energizer
1 gallon water
crushed Campden tablet
wine yeast

Bring water to boil, then set aside. Wash and crush blueberries and put in primary fermentation vessel with all ingredients except yeast. Add hot water and stir to dissolve sugar. Cover well and allow to cool to 70-75 degrees F., then add yeast. Stir daily for 5-6 days or until specific gravity is 1.040. Strain out fruit pulp and press. Siphon into secondary fermentation vessel and fit fermentation trap. Rack in three weeks and again in three months. When wine is clear and stable, rack again and bottle. Allow a year to mature. Improves with age. [Adapted from Stanley F. Anderson and Raymond Hull's The Art of Making Wine]​

Looks pretty straight-forward, but I'm planning on making a full 6-gallon batch. I figure multiplying everything here by 5 will get me close, but I'm wondering if I need to increase everything that much (I'm guessing I don't need 5 packs of yeast, but what about the enzymes/acid?). I'm planning on using 3-4 lbs of blueberries/gallon and substituting some dried cranberries & fresh lemon for the raisins, so that should increase acidity as well (?).

1 packet yeast
Pectic and energizer you should either multiply or just follow the instructions on the packages for 6 gallons
Acid blend I am pretty sure you should not be adding 9tsp of acid blend. that seems ostentatious. I know a lot of people on here don't necessarily follow Jack Keller's acid blend recommendations in general because they tend to be the same amounts for all wines, and not really adjusted for the type of wine.

cbell is correct...lots of jack kellars recipes are just copied and pasted.
and he is all ways light on the fruit.
i would bump up the blue berrys to 4 to 5lbs per gallon.
i would use my hydrometer to get to an sg of 1.095, not rely on pounds of sugar...hydrometer is not wrong.
add sugar 1 lb at a time till close then smaller amounts till you get there.
acid blend i would cut back to 3 tsp per 5 gallons

jamesngalveston said:
cbell is correct...lots of jack kellars recipes are just copied and pasted.
and he is all ways light on the fruit.
i would bump up the blue berrys to 4 to 5lbs per gallon.
i would use my hydrometer to get to an sg of 1.095, not rely on pounds of sugar...hydrometer is not wrong.
add sugar 1 lb at a time till close then smaller amounts till you get there.
acid blend i would cut back to 3 tsp per 5 gallons

Have you ever just used blueberry juice without added sugar? Also, how much sugar would you estimate you use per pound on average in these recipes? Have some blueberries crushed and on campden tablets waiting for a mead or wine tomorrow :mug:

Can anybody tell me how to do this as a 1 gallon recipe? I have the 6lbs frozen blueberries. How much for everything else?

From the perspective of a total new guy, just divide every quantity by 5!
Let me give it a go...

Blueberry Wine - 1 gallon recipie

1- 5 or 6 gallon primary buckets
6 lbs Blueberries frozen
2 lbs Sugar
1 Fruit Bags

0.5 tsp. Acid Blend
0.5 tsp. Pectic Enzyme
0.6 tsp. Yeast Nutrient
0.2 tsp. Grape Tannin

Lalvin EC-1118 Yeast

Take about 6 lbs of frozen blueberries and put them into a fruit bag and set them into a 6 gallon bucket like you would use to make beer in or that you received when you ordered juice. The bucket must have a good lid and hole to accommodate an air lock. Tie the bag securely with butchers twine. Leave it to set a day and defrost.

Day 2. Put a good clean bag on your foot and stop the berries down, being careful to not burst your fruit bag.

Heat 0.3 gallons of water and 1 lb of sugar so that the sugar has dissolved and add to one bucket. Once the mixture has cooled down (stir it up a bit) add the rest of the ingredients. Be sure to proof your yeast.

Take a starting specific gravity reading and record it. I usually attach the recipe with my notes and readings to the air lock inside a sealed sandwich bag.

Cover the bucket and attach air lock. Remove cover and punch down the fruit bag into the mixture every day or so.

After 7 - 10 sometimes 12 days rapid fermentation has usually stopped. I pull the fruit bag and set it over the bucket in a large strainer and squeeze the bag of berries to get as much juice as you can out of them. I have left them as long as 14 days..that's about as long as I feel is needed.

Take a 2nd specific gravity reading and record it.
Add 1/8 tsp of Metibisulfite and stir.

Rack into carboy. If you have a bit extra I put that into a ? bottle and air lock that also.

In about 3 months, rack again and check s.g.
At this time, I usually add some bentonite to help pull the solids down and help with the clearing. Rack it again in about a week.

8 -9 months after start date, rack again, taste and determine if it's ready to bottle. Add 1/8 tsp. metabisulfite and bottle.

This recipe has traditionally ended up at 12% alcohol.

disclaimer: I have no experience with this scaled recipe and cannot recommend for or against it.

So its about done fermenting pretty early (its been 6 days). Its a 1 gallon batch. Should I leave it in primary for the remaining 6 days with the blueberries or move it to carboy without more time with the berries

Back