Blueberry Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJDrum

MJDrum
Reaction score
Blueberry Wine - 5 gallon recipie

2- 5 or 6 gallon primary buckets
30 lbs Blueberries frozen
10 lbs Sugar
2 Fruit Bags

2.5 tsp. Acid Blend
2.5 tsp. Pectic Enzyme
3 tsp. Yeast Nutrient
1 tsp. Grape Tannin

Lalvin EC-1118 Yeast

Take about 15 lbs of frozen blueberries and put them into a fruit bag and set them into a 6 gallon bucket like you would use to make beer in or that you received when you ordered juice. The bucket must have a good lid and hole to accomodate an air lock. Tie the bag securely with butchers twine. Do the same with the rest of your other 15 lbs of berries. Leave them both to set a day and defrost.

Day 2. Put a good clean bag on your foot and stop the berries down, being careful to not burst your fruit bag.

Heat 1 & 1/2 gallons of water and 5 lbs of sugar so that the sugar has disolved and add to one bucket and then do the same for the 2nd bucket of berries. Once the mixture has cooled down (stir it up a bit) add the rest of the ingredients. Be sure to proof your yeast and split the mixture across the two buckets.

The 2 buckets ensure you don't end up with a boil over.

Take a starting specific gravity reading and record it. I usually attach the recipie with my notes and readings to the air lock inside a sealed sandwich bag.

Cover the bucket and attach air lock. Remove cover and punch down the fruit bag into the mixture every day or so.

After 7 - 10 sometimes 12 days rapid fermentation has usually stopped. I pull the fruit bag and set it over the bucket in a large strainer and squeeze the bag of berries to get as much juice as you can out of them. I have left them as long as 14 days..that's about as long as I feel is needed.

Take a 2nd specific gravity reading and record it.
Add 1/4 tsp of Metibisulfite and stir.

Rack into carboy. If you have a bit extra I put that into a quart milk bottle and air lock that also.

In about 3 months, rack again and check s.g.
At this time, I usually add some bentonite to help pull the solids down and help with the clearing. Rack it again in about a week.

8 -9 months after start date, rack again, taste and determine if it's ready to bottle. Add 1/4 tsp. metibisulfite and bottle.

This recipie has traditionally ended up at 12% alcohol.

Last edited:
Please check the bold below. Way to much k-meta and you need to wait before adding yeast giving more time for the pectic enzyme
Blueberry Wine - 5 gallon recipie

2- 5 or 6 gallon primary buckets
30 lbs Blueberries frozen
10 lbs Sugar
2 Fruit Bags

2.5 tsp. Acid Blend
2.5 tsp. Pectic Enzyme
3 tsp. Yeast Nutrient
1 tsp. Grape Tannin

Lalvin EC-1118 Yeast

Take about 15 lbs of frozen blueberries and put them into a fruit bag and set them into a 6 gallon bucket like you would use to make beer in or that you received when you ordered juice. The bucket must have a good lid and hole to accomodate an air lock. Tie the bag securely with butchers twine. Do the same with the rest of your other 15 lbs of berries. Leave them both to set a day and defrost.

Day 2. Put a good clean bag on your foot and stop the berries down, being careful to not burst your fruit bag.

Heat 1 & 1/2 gallons of water and 5 lbs of sugar so that the sugar has disolved and add to one bucket and then do the same for the 2nd bucket of berries. Once the mixture has cooled down (stir it up a bit) add the rest of the ingredients except the yeast
Wait 12-24 hours add yeast
Be sure to proof your yeast and split the mixture across the two buckets.

The 2 buckets ensure you don't end up with a boil over.

Take a starting specific gravity reading and record it. I usually attach the recipie with my notes and readings to the air lock inside a sealed sandwich bag.

Cover the bucket and attach air lock. Remove cover and punch down the fruit bag into the mixture every day or so.

After 7 - 10 sometimes 12 days rapid fermentation has usually stopped. I pull the fruit bag and set it over the bucket in a large strainer and squeeze the bag of berries to get as much juice as you can out of them. I have left them as long as 14 days..that's about as long as I feel is needed.

Take a 2nd specific gravity reading and record it.
Add 1.25 tsp of Metibisulfite and stir. 1/4 tsp

Rack into carboy. If you have a bit extra I put that into a quart milk bottle and air lock that also.

In about 3 months, rack again and check s.g.
At this time, I usually add some bentonite to help pull the solids down and help with the clearing. Rack it again in about a week.

8 -9 months after start date, rack again, taste and determine if it's ready to bottle. Add 1 tsp. metibisulfite and bottle. 1/4 tsp

This recipie has traditionally ended up at 12% alcohol.

Your correct 1/4 tsp. A typo. I have corrected. Never read anything on holding for pectic enzyme to do anything prior to adding yeast.

Before I used a steam juicer I would heat the water just under boiling and dump it that hot over the fruit. It helped extract the color from the fruit better. I would let it cool to room temps and add K-Meta. Wait 24 hours and add Pectic Enzyme, wait 24 hours and add yeast.

Your correct 1/4 tsp. A typo. I have corrected. Never read anything on holding for pectic enzyme to do anything prior to adding yeast.
C@@L ! I thought it was a typo.

Minor leagues

I was gifted 3# of wild blueberries. At $30/lb, I thought I was a lucky guy. So I went looking for recipes. :<
Let's see.... 15# of berries, 1.5 gal of water, 5# of sugar. Hummm....
At that rate, I can't make more than a "5th" of the stuff. :(
Even >I< can't justify $90 a bottle wine.
Guess I'd better look up pie recipes instead. :h

I would suggest 5-6# per gallon. Freeze them and wait till next year when they are in season. MUCH cheaper then. Even cheaper if you pick them !
I usually get at least 100#'s in season
$30.00 a pound? Surley you are making a TYPO?

I would suggest 5-6# per gallon. Freeze them and wait till next year when they are in season. MUCH cheaper then. Even cheaper if you pick them !
I usually get at least 100#'s in season
$30.00 a pound? Surley you are making a TYPO?

Well, I actually have 6 pounds available...frozen.
The typo was blueberries vs. huckleberries. These are "wild blueberries", and I have no idea where they came from, or the going price.
The mountain huckleberries around here are only picked by locals who brave the bears and bad roads. The going rate IS $30/lb. It's quite a supplemental seasonal income for those who pick.

Any suggestions on substituting yeast? I've got ICV-D47, K1-V1116, Montrachet & RC212 handy.

1116 will do .. Or, Red Star Cote des Blancs ( thats what I use on all fruit wine)

Finally got moving on this. Been busy, but berry seasons are starting up and making freezer space is urgent. Have also been eating venison like mad. [url=http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php] [/URL]

Thawed 30# of berries and mashed them with a potato masher and then by hand. No doubt some escaped, but whatever. Added pectic enzyme and K-meta yesterday. Am working on the starter as we speak. The must is split between 2 buckets with 3 gallons in each. Drew off 2 cups of starter and pitched that into bucket 1. The rest of the starter is being acclimated and will go in bucket 2. Just curious if K1-V116 needs to be acclimated.

The berry # was a little light at 5/gallon. I plan on backsweetening with an -f-pack. Will be the first time trying that.

Haven't run acid or pH tests yet. Sunday maybe.

How much sugar did you add and what is the starting gravity?

5# sugar in each. Starting gravity is 1.085. Also added 1.5 gallons of water to each. Not sure what the berries will yield in terms of volume, but each bucket has about 4.25 gallons in it right now.

Both buckets are chugging along. Looks like acclimating the starter wasn't strictly necessary. Should have made the starters equal size to see if speed was affected.

This recipe calls for 12-14 days before pulling the berry bag. Is that best practice? Seems like most recipes pull it sooner.

I pull when gravity is 1.020 and rack to secondary @ 1.005-1.010.
This time of year its not uncommon for it to ferment in 3-4 days. Best to keep a eye on the gravity.

Well, it went dry when I wasn't looking. Had to rack today as the buckets are needed elsewhere. Netted about 6.5 gallons. The berries were reduced to less then 1 gallon in volume from 5. It's a pretty purple color. Looking forward to seeing the color when the lees drop. Further posts in 6 months as events warrant. <shades of Calvin and Hobbes>

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back