Blueberry wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingnutooa

Jack of all Daniels
Reaction score
got about 23 +/- lbs of blueberries from a guy that was renting storage from us and i'm starting the wine tonight.

anything i should take care in doing?

Add pectic enzyme and wait 24 hours before adding yeast
I would freeze them 1st if you have not done that already. Put berries in a paint straining bag.

Blueberry can be tough to get fermenting.. so make a really good yeast starter for it.

Allie

Good point Allie. Also add nutrient to the yeast

i agree as blueberries produce bezoate naturally which is a yeast inhibitor so use nutrient and energizer and do the sarter like said above. I do the nutrient in 3 steps to keep fermentation gong strong all the way through. I add 1/3 the nutrient up front along with all the energizer, another 1/3rd at 1.060 and the last 1/3rd at 1.030.

Started my own blueberry batch on 8/8/09. I started w/ 15 lbs. frozen berries. While frozen I packed them into my nylon straining bags (knee-highs from walmart at $.33 a pair) Once they thawed I added pectic enzyme, yeast nutrient, and hot water, and gently mashed them w/ a potato masher.

10 lbs. of sugar put the SG at 1.087.

Added yeast the next day (Monday the 10th).

As of Tuesday afternoon it sounded like alka-seltzer fizzing.

No problem here getting my yeast starter (Cuvee).

Good luck w/ yours.

Sounds like alot of sugar. Was this a 3 gallon batch?

Tom-

It's a 6 gal. batch. I figure after I remove the berries in the bags I'll have around 5-51/2 gal. left.

My recipe called for 13 pounds of sugar. I started low and worked up to my SG of 1.087.

Wow, 15# is not really enough for 6 gallons thats only 2 1/2 # per gallon. I would have doubled it 5-6# per gallon is what too shoot for. Not to worry, just make a strong f-pac.

I have a 3 gallon batch of blueberry in a primary as we speak. I had heard that they sometimes had a hard time getting the fermenting going. I made up a starter of Montrachet yeast and added must to the starter until it made a full quart starter. I added that right to the must and it took right off! I was impressed.
I used energizer, pectic enzyme and nutrient in the must.

I've got 10 pounds of fresh/frozen blueberries in the freezer now, and just took delivery of my new steam juicer. I'm going to try to start the process this weekend - I'm looking forward to playing with the steamer.

I've got 10 pounds of fresh/frozen blueberries in the freezer now, and just took delivery of my new steam juicer. I'm going to try to start the process this weekend - I'm looking forward to playing with the steamer.
Which one did you get?

blueberry

I would like to add my two cents to the fpac theory,I never freeze my fruit to concentrate the sugars,the reason I don't is I feel that one must first have good quality fruit to start with ready ,if you can uptain it in season,secondly I want all the juice I can get from the fruit with out having to add to much water,that in it self forces you to add back,knowing you will have to add water in any fashion to the mix....TOM and I come from the same school of thought and do similar things to our wines but we as good wine makers all do go our separate ways in achieving our end goal in creating a good product,well as best we can at the time sometimes that don't always happen thats when you must THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX/////???????? FPAC have good uses....but controlling the fermentation process is key to the balance of alcohol and flavor

5 lbs of blueberry to a gallon is a very concentrated mix. IIRC, we typically use something like 3 lbs per gallon and it comes out to have a full flavor.

Latest posts

Back