Blueberry wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boozehag

NZ Artist
Reaction score
I have just purchased 10kg of blueberries (And got the same deal for Allie!) they are frozen and I have no freezer space so want to use them as soon as I pick them up on Tuesday (Well when they have thawed that is!

Any receipes please anyone? Any tips too, has anyone make blueberry wine. I saw the receipe you put up Wade but thats more a mead isnt it?

Yes, it is a mead and if you have never tried a Melomel I implore you to make it!

how does it differ from wine Wade? Is it sweeter, thicker, etc etc. And on i have never made it, have only just started amking wine three months ago...lots ot learn and discover!

It will have much more body and a smoother mouthfeel to it. Like any wine sweet or dry is your personal preference and any wine can be made to your liking. Its no different from making wine, do you have all the chems like nutrient, energizer, citric acid or cid blend.

Thaw berries. Once room temp add 5# sugar 5 gallons of water pectic enzyme, yeast nutrient let it sit 24-48 hrs. Check gravity add enough sugar to bring gravity to 1.085. I use Cote des Blancs yeast. Punch the cap at least 2X a day.Ferment as you would..
After stabilizing and fining you may want to backsweeten

15 lbs – Honey (Blueberry Spun is best but any kind will work)
15 lbs – Previously Frozen and Thawed Blueberries
2 Quarts – Wyman’s Wild Blueberry Juice
6 tsp – Yeast Nutrient
3 tsp – Yeast Energizer
6 tsp – Acid Blend
4 1/2 Gallons – Water
1/8 tsp – K-Meta
1/4 tsp – Liquid Pectic Enzyme
2 Sachets – Red Star Pasteur Red Yeast

Yes I have all the additives Wade! Just dont have the 2 Quarts – Wyman’s Wild Blueberry Juice or at least not sure where to get it- most of our juices have additives in them but Ill go check. Also the liquid pectin enzyme, I have granules or powder anyway.

What is blueberry spun honey?

Any pectic enzyme will work I just stated liquid becuase of the small amount and didnt want someone adding that small amount of powdered as the liquid is concentrated. Wymans is sold in most grocery stores around here but you could use any Bluebbery juice (sulfite free) or just use another 4 lbs of blueberries if you have them. Blueberry spun honey is whipped honey with blueberry added in and is just fabulous. I bought it at a Brew Place on sale.

Thanks Wade, will look into this for sure.
The honey sounds divine.

Back