Blueberry wine help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharkbaithal

Junior
Reaction score
First time attempting batch with blueberries. Does anyone have a good recipe for 5 or 6 gallons of blueberry wine. Would like to end with ~14% APV. Will be made with fresh blueberries. Thanks.

Here is a link to a blueberry recipe on this site in the "RECIPE" section. I didn't review it but I did see there were some additional comments on it.

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4549

First off wondering why you would want a high APV, usually fruit wines are around 10% but to each his own. Use your hydrometer. It would be best to freeze your fruit first. After a few days thaw them in a bucket, add a camden tablet per gallon of blueberries (NOT # of gallons your making.) Wait 12 to 24 hours. Add pectic enzyme, energizer and nutrient. Maybe some tannin and acid blend. Do a test first. After 12 hours add remaining sugar and water. Check gravity and add a yeast starter.

Good recipe. I like Cote des Blancs yeast thou and like Steve said to much alcohol will over power the flavor.

Shoot for gravity of 1.085. Remember all blueberries have a different sugar content so after you add pectic and wait 24hrs add sugar to get 1.085. It may be less than the recipe.

I agree withn the others here with one exception. If you want a higher abv then also up the amount fruit to better hide the higher abv kind of like making a port.

Speaking from experience on Blueberry wine. I made mine 15%+ and it was very harsh, no flavor. I agree with Wade on this. I ended up turning mine into blueberry port and its very nice so far. You will need to do something like add an f-pak or lower the alcohol or it will not be pleasant to drink. It will give you a buzz though!:dg

I started mine at 1.085-1.090ish. Did F-pack, it's sitting in a barrel right now.... it's coming along nice so far.

Started a gal. batch of Blueberry on 9-22 (pitched yeast). Starting SG 1.098. Temp 68. Just The SG on 9-26 was 1.060, and this morning, 9-29, 1.050. VERY slow ferment, so far. I added energizer and nutrient to the must right away. It's still fizzing OK, just taking longer than I'm used to.

Blueberry can take a while. Raise the temp if you can

First Blueberry batch finished

Since it was the first batch I have made with blueberries, did 3 gallons instead of 6. Everything went as planned with no big surprises. I ended up using a recipe that I got from the local wine shop, The Shady Lady. After filtering and sweetening, ended up with a deep purplish-blue, clear product that is very drinkable. I fully expect in a few months it will be superb. Will be making another batch soon.

For blueberry wine shoot for 6#'s per gal. Sugar to 1.085 tops.
Consider a f-pac for all fruit wines.
Instead of wine conditioner back sweeten with simple syrup. Wine conditioner can leave you a cough medicine taste.
Welcome to a great obsession !

For blueberry wine shoot for 6#'s per gal. Sugar to 1.085 tops.
Consider a f-pac for all fruit wines.
Instead of wine conditioner back sweeten with simple syrup. Wine conditioner can leave you a cough medicine taste.
Welcome to a great obsession !

This is what can keep as a reminder and it will definitely help out in future. I always try to make new wines and would like to know more that will be pretty helpful.

Latest posts

Back