Blueberry wine acid/pH question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron Ferraro

Junior
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Newbie here...I've been making grape wine for years, and decided to try my hand at fruit wine, specifically blueberry. After initial sugar and water additions, I have 7 gallons even of must. I did my initial testing, and have some interesting numbers. Note, I'm trying to make this more in the style of a dry red grape wine.

Brix - 23
TA - .60
pH 2.93

Note the TA is in line where I want it, but the pH seems awfully low. I measured the TA twice with a Hanna Mini-Titrator that I use for my grape wine, and checked the pH with two different Hanna pH meters (I calibrated all of these prior to use and am using fresh titrant). Anyway, as I have a bit of leeway with the Brix and maybe a tiny bit on the TA, I was thinking of adding additional water to try to raise the pH up a bit, but then again, don't want to lower other others too much. Anyone else ever run across numbers like this?

Why are you going to add water? How many pounds per gallon are you using.

Unless you are using at least 7-8 lbs of blueberries per gallon I wouldn't add any water.

Blueberries are consistently very acidic. I had one pH readings at 2.98 and one other even lower.

Adjust the pH a little get it somewhere about 3.1-3.2 and it should be fine ( I use Calcium Carbonate)* . I've actually had great wine and no fermentation issues with a starting pH below 3.00 but many folks do report problems with blueberry fermentations when the pH is below 3.00

* Take is slow with adjustments. Dose it with about 1/4 to 1/3 what you think it needs stir and wait at least 2-4 hours. It's easy to overshoot the target.

Last edited:
Blueberry can stick, probably some combination of pH and possibly antimicrobial effect from vaccinium sp. You might power through at 2.93 but blueberry likes it higher, 3.5 range. My last two batches started at 2.85 and 2.86, and I pushed the pH up to 3.44 and 3.56 respectively.

I agree with @Scooter68, I would also use calcium carbonate and bring the pH up. I do go slowly but I do not think it is necessary to wait 2-4 hours between additions; if you do that you will be adjusting forever.

Latest posts

Back