Blueberry still fermenting ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vacuumpumpman

Vendor
Sponsor
Reaction score
I started this Blueberry wine about 6 weeks ago - transfered into the carboys after the hydrometer reached 1.00 ( primary fermentation took about 7 days )

It is still going - weeks latter ?

I can only assume that it might be going thru malo ?

Anyone else has gone thru malo with blueberries ?

I started this Blueberry wine about 6 weeks ago - transfered into the carboys after the hydrometer reached 1.00 ( primary fermentation took about 7 days )

It is still going - weeks latter ?

I can only assume that it might be going thru malo ?

Anyone else has gone thru malo with blueberries ?

Mine didn't MLF , but it too continued to bubble for weeks. The sg didn't change, so my assumption was that it was just steadily giving off its co2 stockpile. Since the sg was stable, I sulfited and degassed and it stopped.

Mine didn't MLF , but it too continued to bubble for weeks. The sg didn't change, so my assumption was that it was just steadily giving off its co2 stockpile. Since the sg was stable, I sulfited and degassed and it stopped.

Did you wait till it stopped bubbling prior to adding sulfites ?

I made blueberry before and dont recall this type of issue ?

Did you wait till it stopped bubbling prior to adding sulfites ?

I made blueberry before and dont recall this type of issue ?

Just checked my notes, pressed and went into glass at 1.002, racked off gross lees three days later at .996, hit .991 three days after that. Two weeks later, still at .991, it was still bubbling, so I sulfite and degassed. Three months after that it was racked, sulfited, and sorbate added, still at .991. Sweetened a week later to 1.008, bottled a week after that.

Edit: didn't use any clearing agents, this wine cleared really quickly and thoroughly, did use 3tsp pectic in primary.

Thanks !

I will start to rack and degass and add my sulfites now -

Just checked my notes, pressed and went into glass at 1.002, racked off gross lees three days later at .996, hit .991 three days after that. Two weeks later, still at .991, it was still bubbling, so I sulfite and degassed. Three months after that it was racked, sulfited, and sorbate added, still at .991. Sweetened a week later to 1.008, bottled a week after that.

Edit: didn't use any clearing agents, this wine cleared really quickly and thoroughly, did use 3tsp pectic in primary.

I can't believe what 24 hours can do - after removing the CO2 while transferring with the allinonewinepump

I have alot of sediment already on the bottom -

It was extremely cold when I decided to start this fermentation, I needed heating belts just to keep the temp up to the low 70's. I understand when you are doing kits in the winter months - how much more important it is to remove the CO2.

I am glad I have the right machine to aid in the removal of CO2 - LOL

fermentation started up again today after almost 1 week of several vacuum racking and adding 1/2 tsp of sulfite.

i hooked the Allinonewinepump using the headspace eliminator and puled all the gas out once again.

Since you've sulfited, and you're already dry, my only real sense of what's keeping it active is CO2 still being released.

I will give it another week - but it was bubbling like a very active fermentation and that was 1 week after degassing.

I had one instance of major airlock action starting after wine was more than a year old. It had been in plastic bubblers until I racked into glass for the first time. Once it hit glass my guess is it could not expand and contract a bit with the weather, and a passing storm front made the airlock really go to town. So much so my hubby, myself, and 2 cats just sat there watching it. The show lasted about an hour, then all was quiet again.

Pam in cinti

I will give it another week - but it was bubbling like a very active fermentation and that was 1 week after degassing.

Steve, have you checked your hydrometer lately? Over the years I have read where the insides move around a bit. Distilled water is best to test with, but tap water will let you know if it is pretty close. Arne.

Steve, have you checked your hydrometer lately? Over the years I have read where the insides move around a bit. Distilled water is best to test with, but tap water will let you know if it is pretty close. Arne.
My well water checks out at 1.00

Latest posts

Back