Blueberry Pomegranate - acid too low?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deboard

Reaction score
I just racked my batch of Blueberry Pomegranate, and I measured the pH with my meter, and it showed 4.19, this seems a little high, (or low whichever way you want to look at it). I measured the acid % using titration when I put the batch together, and I ended up at 0.65%. I can't say I know how to convert from %acid to pH, but I think 4.19 is not 0.65%. I used a yeast that can convert malic acid, but I didn't think it would do that much.

Should I add more tartaric acid at next racking or is 4.19 ok for a fruit wine. I did not get a chance to taste it.

I would dbke check that your PH meter is calibrated properly and that the solution is still good.

I have been wondering if either my Sodium Hydroxide or Phenylthaline is good. Does anyone know the shelf life on those? I bought both last november in an acid test kit, and it may have been on the shelf long before that. I started questioning it when I did the next batch, which was a Vintner's harvest black currant, and the titration yielded a number that did not match up with the 3 gallon recipe on the can by a few teaspoons. I could expect a small difference, but not that much. I followed the recipe on the can that time.

I'm pretty sure I calibrated the meter right, it's an automatic calibration that asks you to put the probe in a 7.01 solution, and then once it calibrates that end, then it asks for a 4 solution.

Back