WineXpert Blueberry pinot noir SG to secondary?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

Well I am at it again with these SG. I am doing the blueberry pinot noir wine xpert island mist kit and want to make sure I am on the right track. I started it last thursday evening in the primary fermenter and checked it today, monday, and the SG is 1.000 the directions say to change it to carboy when its below 1.010. Thats fine but it says to check in 5-7 days and i havent reach that time frame yet. do i go with the SG and change it to the carboy or wait a little bit longer to get to the 5-7 day period? Please let me know thanks.

tim

Alright I should have read the other posts first. It looks like I am still in good shape if I carboy over at 1.000 or less as people mentioned previously.

If someone could just comment to make sure I am okay to go to secondary at a SG of 1 so I dont blow this wine kit? thanks

tim

Go ahead and rack it to secondary. Depending upon many factors - mostly temp - primary fermentation can go quick. I've had some kits drop to under 1.01 in 3 days. The timelines they give you are general so follow your SG reading for these first few rackings.

Agree, never go by times as yeast is a living thing and mother nature doesnt use a clock.

The timing of this racking isn't all that critical. They just want you to do it before fermentation stops (to prevent oxidation) but not so soon that you have an explosion of foam into your airlock. Racking at around 1.000 has been working well for me, I think it gives the yeast a little boost.

The other thing is the instructions say "leave most of the sediment behind". Again, you don't have to sweat it too much, any sediment that you suck into your carboy will quickly settle to the bottom.

The only way I can think of to mess up this kit would be to bottle it while it's still cloudy, but even that would be hard to do because the Mist kits clear really quickly. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Hello,

Well I am at it again with these SG. I am doing the blueberry pinot noir wine xpert island mist kit and want to make sure I am on the right track. I started it last thursday evening in the primary fermenter and checked it today, monday, and the SG is 1.000 the directions say to change it to carboy when its below 1.010. Thats fine but it says to check in 5-7 days and i havent reach that time frame yet. do i go with the SG and change it to the carboy or wait a little bit longer to get to the 5-7 day period? Please let me know thanks.

tim

i'm making the same kit right now i'm in the final 14 days before bottle aging. could you tell me how this tasted? i don't figure i'll crack a bottle for a few months atleast to give it alittle more age but i'm still curious.

thanks
Ben

Latest posts

Back