WineXpert Blueberry Pinot Noir -- adding 5lb sugar

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like you're well underway. Just follow the instructions from here on out and you'll be in good shape. Check sg as recommended and be patient.

Into my 3rd day of this.

I have a brew belt on the primary. Per the instructions, I had the brew belt about 3" below the top of the must. However, the bottom part of the bucket was cool (basement temp around 63). Last night, the engineer in me decided to move the brew belt to the bottom of the bucket. I was thinking that the by heating the bottom of the bucket, the warmer must would rise, and thus, get a little mechanical mixing going, simply by the rising fluids (albiet slow mixing).

Since, this is my first batch ever, I didn't know what to expect. I have the cover sitting loosly on the primary, just to keep bugs & dust out. Opened it up to take a peek and to smell it (love that smell), and the must is actually fizzing. I didn't expect it to be so vigiorous. Is this normal? I stuck my nose about an 1" from the surface, and you actually get a stinging wiff of CO2 (I'm assuming that was CO2). Is this normal?

Thoughts? Comments?

PS:I can see why this is addicting. This is too cool.

Last edited:
That should work! You will enjoy the results I am sure. Now, follow the remaining instructions and be patient.

the must is actually fizzing. I didn't expect it to be so vigiorous. Is this normal? I stuck my nose about an 1" from the surface, and you actually get a stinging wiff of CO2 (I'm assuming that was CO2). Is this normal?

Yes, perfectly normal. Get a flashlight, turn the lights off, and shine the light over the surface of the must. It's like a miniature version of the light show at Disney World.

Just by the by, you will see this slow down a bit when you get close to the 1.010 SG reading. You can just stick your hydrometer right into the bucket to check, you don't need to use the test tube. The measurement doesn't even need to be very accurate at this point, just somewhere under 1.010 before you rack to your carboy.

Use the light on your carboy too, so you can see the CO2 bubbling up through the wine. It will take a few hours after you rack to pick up again. Anyway much more fun than just watching the air-lock perk!!

I've found that adding the extra sugar adds time to the primary fermentation.. Make sure you rely on hydrometer readings for the proper time to rack.

Welcome to the addiction!

:b

Ok guys this has been a really helpful thread, I'm getting ready to tinker with a Blueberry Pinot as well, my wife liked the taste but said it was a little to sweet, would it be bad if I added 3 lbs of sugar for alcohol content and added half the fpack at start?

Ok guys this has been a really helpful thread, I'm getting ready to tinker with a Blueberry Pinot as well, my wife liked the taste but said it was a little to sweet, would it be bad if I added 3 lbs of sugar for alcohol content and added half the fpack at start?

I almost always add half the fpack up front. Add enough sugar after adding the fpack to take it up to 1.08sg.

Latest posts

Back