Blueberry or Strawberry Recipes??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBH

Junior
Reaction score
About to try my first batches of fresh Strawberry and Blueberry. Anyone have a recommended recipe that they prefer? I am interested in comparing several opinions......thanks in advance!

In my limited experience...

Stay away from blueberry if you like a full bodied fruit forward wine. I did a blueberry bannana wine last year and while its not bad its very bland. At least its not my favorite. On the other hand my strawberry came out fantastic!

My advise...let it age, do not back sweeten to early and not to much. Aging these for a year or so really softens the harsh malic acids and reduces the need for a masking sweetness. Last year I sweetend from dry, semi-dri, to sweet (.990sg, 1.010sg, 1.020sg), this year I will not be going far above .997sg.

But of course this is all subjective. Make what you enjoy and share it with others that find the same style pleasing. After all its just wine! Cheers!

Be careful using Jacks recipes
The #'s per gallon is low and the alcohol is high.

I start mine by using 5-6#'s per gallon and add a f-pac and backsweeten.

In my limited experience...

Stay away from blueberry if you like a full bodied fruit forward wine. I did a blueberry bannana wine last year and while its not bad its very bland. At least its not my favorite. On the other hand my strawberry came out fantastic!

My advise...let it age, do not back sweeten to early and not to much. Aging these for a year or so really softens the harsh malic acids and reduces the need for a masking sweetness. Last year I sweetend from dry, semi-dri, to sweet (.990sg, 1.010sg, 1.020sg), this year I will not be going far above .997sg.

But of course this is all subjective. Make what you enjoy and share it with others that find the same style pleasing. After all its just wine! Cheers!

I dont have any problems making Blueberry wine. Like I said above use alot of #'s per gal this will give more / better body. Make a starter before adding the yeast. On all fruit wines shoot for a starting gravity of 1.085

I agree with Tom, Blueberry makes an awesome wine and typically the darker the frit the more body a wine will have. I agree also about Jack kellars recipe area mostly not having enough fruit per gallon and too much sugar leaving you with a higher abv wine with less flavor.

Ummm, its just a saying that us younger people say, kind of like "I'd have sex with her"!

I used 30# for a 6 gal. batch, guess I might have to give it another go around. As far as jacks recipes go I think they are a great starting point, especially if you have never made that particular wine before. However, I agree that his values can be a little off as these are just general guide lines for those who do not have the equipment. I personally measure SG/Brix, Acid, and PH levels to make sure I get them right before pitching the yeast.

I agree that Jacks recipe section and the rest of the info is a great resource. I just think as many others that those high abv's on fruit wines hide too much flavor and the lower fruit amounts per gallon add to that thin and less flavored wine.

Since watermelon and strawberry juice is thin (mostly water) could you simmer down the juice before fermenting? This came to mind last night while I don't sleep.

No, thats why I use more #'s per gallon. Now a F-PAC is another story.

I actually just started (monday) a batch of strawberry and a batch of blueberry wine. I've always increased the wine in recipes I find because I like the flavor of the fruit I'm using. I used 8lbs of blueberry and 6lbs of strawberry. I'll check the specific gravity this evening and most likely rack it into the secondary. If you decide to go this route keep me updated...we'll have to exchange recipes.

Are you talking about a ONE gallon batch?

Latest posts

Back