Blueberry Melomel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blueberry Pom sounds really good. One of the best dry fruit wines I have ever made was a 50:50 blueberry elderberry wine. A little oak you round it out and it was the closest thing to a dry red wine I think I could achieve. .

any advice on using cinnamon with it? I have had melomels with great cinnamon flavors, but don't know how to replicate it. Maybe it's the wrong kind or amount? Wrong sweetness? Method? Thinking like a pie here for the taste... Thx for any advice

Well...I went back to notes from a batch in 09.I used 1 oz. or so of medium quality ground cinnamon in a coffee filter thrown in the mesh bag. I do know that it has a nice cinnamon overtone.Yeast was Lalvin Bourgovin RC 212. I'd forgotten,but I'd used a 12oz. can of Olde Orchard Pomegranate and a can of 12 oz. Welch Apple,Grape,Raspberry.I only used 16 lbs. of berries on the 5 gal. batch.The wine is great.I've set aside several bottles.

J-Gee,

Since you are in SE Ohio, do you have access to Brothers Drake Meads? They are in Columbus and I'm trying to replicate something similar to their Apple Pie Mead, but with a blueberry pie recipe I have. Definitely a dessert mead, but delicious.

Thx for the tip on the cinnamon. I'll try that when I can get some fresh blueberries this summer.

Sure,I know it.I know a guy that took a couple courses under their instruction.I've had a couple of there products and liked them.I believe "Summer Solstice" was one that I'd tried to get,but it was in short supply at the time.I'll try to pick up a bottle of the apple pie this week

I think summer solstice is always in short supply. I have a bottle of the apple pie in my beer/wine fridge now

Hi All,

I was wondering when you are ready to rack what do you add to the carboy to top up for the volume of the fruit after removing the berries?

Thanks

Back