Blueberry I thought was ready

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheffield251

Junior
Reaction score
I just bottled 12 cases of blueberry wine. I had absolutely no sediment in the bottom of my carboys and the wine was very clear. 12 hours after bottling, i had stuff floating in my bottles, not just one bottle, but all of them. what is that, why could I have not seen that in my carboys. I plan on uncorking all and filter all of it using a friends filter. I have never filtered wine before and never had issues like this. Anything that I should have done differently? thanks.

I just bottled 12 cases of blueberry wine. I had absolutely no sediment in the bottom of my carboys and the wine was very clear. 12 hours after bottling, i had stuff floating in my bottles, not just one bottle, but all of them. what is that, why could I have not seen that in my carboys. I plan on uncorking all and filter all of it using a friends filter. I have never filtered wine before and never had issues like this. Anything that I should have done differently? thanks.

Put them back into the carboys, add some kmeta to each, rack it again in January then bottle it again in April or May. If it was from this years crop you rushed it! Relax, It's better with age!

Yep--if it was made this summer, it's just too early to bottle.

What's going on here is that there are many sediments you don't see---proteins, potassium, sometimes even dirt. It takes some time before these fall free from a wine. And when you bottle with these sediments present, they can recloud the wine under certain storage conditions. You're always wise to not bottle most wines until the 1 year mark. Then you can be assured of good clearing and a firming up of flavors.

Instead of filtering, you might consider more bulk storage time. These sediments are on a microscopic scale and a filter probably won't filter them out.

Well it seems that I was a little impatient. Yes, it was from this years fruit. I made some 2 years ago and bottled just about the same time, so I thought I was ok. I will be patient and put it away for a while. Thanks for all the replies.

I bulk aged mine for a year racking every several months. Every racking had sediment and after I bottled it still threw more.

I knew I should have filtered.:slp

Back