Blueberries

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
your PH is well in range, your color looks great, I do all sweet country wines as primitive as possible, yes looks like your going good, on all my PH & TA i if the wine needs adjusted ,, i adjust before bottling with either crabapples or triple acid blend, i shoot for a PH OF 3.6 but close is good,,,
Dawg

Last edited:
your PH is well in range, your color looks great, I do all sweet country wines as primitive as possible, what are you calling TA?
Dawg
It is the measure of total acidity. It was 6.0 g/l or 6%. Table wine is suppose to be 6-7%. Not sure how country wine relate to this or if blueberry should fall in the same range.

It is the measure of total acidity. It was 6.0 g/l or 6%. Table wine is suppose to be 6-7%. Not sure how country wine relate to this or if blueberry should fall in the same range.
same thing stated differently, yes you are on target, looks like all that's left is the best ingredient Time,, I age everything, wine just gets better with time, i make skeeter pee port to alow my wines to age,, lol
Dawg

It doesn’t get much better!
I run high fruit so my TA is close to one per liter which forces me to back sweeten to 1.010.
Thanks. this batch was 7lbs blueberries per gal. I had to add acid blend at start since the starting PH was 3.64 and TA was 3.

just have to keep waiting Now.

i have some time but I was thinking about how I may back sweeten. Can I use a 65 brix blueberry concentrate as the source to back sweeten? I thought that may provide the sugar and also provide more berry flavor if needed. Sort of just thinking it through At this point. Of course I would try samples first and use potassium sorbate to stabilize. I like to really taste the fruit in my fruit wines and thought if needed, this may help.

I got the blueberry concentrate to back sweeten the blueberry wine. I started the blueberries on 9-28-2020. Last rack and k-meta was on 10-21-2020. so later this month I would like to rack, add k -meta and potassium sorbate and then add a qt of blueberry concentrate. From my samples we did, we liked it when Sg was 1.010 and 1.020 so a qt will but it around 1.015.

can I add everything at racking or should I add the blueberry concentrate a little later. I plan to leave it in carboy another month or so to make sure it clears again after adding the concentrate.

using the blueberry concentrate to back sweeten really bought the flavor forward. Before it had a watery taste at the end and this really helped. it made the blueberry flavor more intense and enjoyable.

25899AE9-3C8F-4CEA-A91F-50A4997ADE26.jpeg

I got the blueberry concentrate to back sweeten the blueberry wine. I started the blueberries on 9-28-2020. Last rack and k-meta was on 10-21-2020. so later this month I would like to rack, add k -meta and potassium sorbate and then add a qt of blueberry concentrate. From my samples we did, we liked it when Sg was 1.010 and 1.020 so a qt will but it around 1.015.

can I add everything at racking or should I add the blueberry concentrate a little later. I plan to leave it in carboy another month or so to make sure it clears again after adding the concentrate.

using the blueberry concentrate to back sweeten really bought the flavor forward. Before it had a watery taste at the end and this really helped. it made the blueberry flavor more intense and enjoyable.

View attachment 70392
yes on country wines, it takes sugar to bring out the flavor, i when my wine is ready to bottle , i add dry sugar and stir with a carboy stirrer attached to my cordless drill, if you did not add sorbate when you added more concentrate . then it might start fermenting again, every time a ferment ends and before you sweeten you need to k-meta and sorbate before you back sweeten,
Dawg

How much sorbate to add per gal? Is is 1/2 teaspoon? The blueberry wine is at .990 now. It has been 4 months. Can I rack the wine on the k meta, sorbate and concentrate at same time. I read some say it is fine and some says to rack on k meta and sorbate and then add the concentrate a few days later. I plan to keep it in carboy a little longer in case the concentrate clouds it back up.

I added 1 qt of blueberry concentrate to my 3 gal and letting it sit now. I k-meta and sorbate 24 hours earlier. Made the blueberry flavor more intense to my liking.

I like the idea of adding concentrate for back sweetening. I assume that that will make it cloudy, so how long do you let it sit to clear again?

Not sure. It is so dark it is hard to see if it is cloudy. I will wait a month or so and see if I see anything dropping in the bottom.

You wait as long as it takes. That's one reason to chose your additions carefully. You could end up waiting several months if the concentrate isn't a clean/clear one. I use enough fruit with my fruit wines that I know the flavor will be there, it will just need a little sweetening to bring it out and for that I use Simple Syrup 2 cups sugar to 1 cup water. Typically I end up using something along the lines of 5.5 ounces of that per gallon of wine.* That will not significantly change the strength of the wine or the ABV.

In my bench trials I use a plastic syringe and start with 5 cc of Simple syrup into my 8 oz cup of wine. So 10 cc's is a common number I end up with and that translates to 5.5 oz per gallon. That way I don't have to worry about getting my wine cloudy and waiting for it to clear. I also end up with some extra wine when the back-sweetening is done and I get to have that after bottling. (I'm doing 3 gallon batches so there isn't enough extra for another bottle or split.

Latest posts

Back