Blow Out (not Up) your computer!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arcticsid

Arctic Contributor
Reaction score
ust took the comp next door to the shop and removed the back and blew out all the dust, cat hair, cigarette smoke, other smoke...more other smoke, out of the fans the boards, the ports the processor coils etc.

I am embarrased to tell you how bad dit was. I haven't did it since October. Computers and all electronics like to be cool.

Do this once in a while.

If you don't have a compressor, canned air will do. If you don't know what you are doing..DO NOT, DO NOT (my disclaimer) do this on your own. To much pressure, to close can really mess things up. But it is really no big deal.

If you love your computer, please consider this.

I assume you all take care of your vehicles, dont forget your computer. Want an example? Look where you intake and outtake fans are on your computer, bet they got gunk on them, think about the inside! Heat is your enemey with a computer, so is fans that don't dissipate it because they are gunked up.

Just a friendly reminder.

Troy
:slp

Now i'm afraid to open my PC. been sitting on the floor fopr 5 years.:rn

Thats scary Tom. I am an advocate of not fixing working things but, you should consider this. Again, if your not much of a geek, have someone blow it out for you. It could be a big difference in the comp. I once had an old truck that had an air cleaner that hadn't been changed in like 10 yrs, I changed it and the truck ran worse.

But in all seriousness, the inside of these need to get blown out once in a while. Same as your TV, stereo, etc.

But right now where talking about computers.

Wish i could clean out my lungs so easily!!!LOL

Wish i could clean out my lungs so easily!!!LOL
Thats why I stopped smoking some 36+years ago.

I know, I told leanne I was going to quit, but I never promised when!!LOL Starting to feel it.

But seriously all, look into someone blowing the dust out of your computer, you won't be sorry!

Troy

I use a computer vacuum cleaner on my little laptop. It seems to do the job nicely. Laptops are a bit more delicate though I think.

I know, I told leanne I was going to quit, but I never promised when!!LOL Starting to feel it.

But seriously all, look into someone blowing the dust out of your computer, you won't be sorry!

Troy

Since I've just started smoking again I can hardly ask you to stop, now can I honey? LOL.

This is really a necessary thing.
I'm living proof!
I have a Dell Demension 8200 that I had for several years. It was my main computer for working with. One day while using it, working on plans and listening to music, I went down stairs to eat lunch.
Came back up to find it crashed, with a message a cooling fan had failed.
Well, I opened it up and what did I find. Enough dust covering the fan blades to build a nice sweater.
I think that not only did it cook the cooling fan, but also the processor. I'm hoping that it didn't get the hard drive and most people have said it didn't. So my music, photos, house plans,,,, you know, semi important stuff is still in it, recoverable.
But, yes, either do it yourself or have it done. If you computer is still under warranty, have it done. My Dell's had a disclaimer that if I opened the case myself it would void the warranty.

Yeah, I forgot new computers would be under warranty and have that stipulation. I built mine sort of so it's different.

Be careful with those lil vacs, they are okay for the outside, but if you start sticking them inside you will be introducing static and that is BAD NEWS for a computer.

Oh boy, here we go, I already see the direction this thread is going to go! LOL

I periodically blow out my computers with a vacuum- a computer vacuum that also blows air. I can either suck up the heavy dust accumulations and then blow other things out. It takes a while to do them all. Just in the office I have the three servers and three workstations and just ordered a new Dell Precision 5500 Workstation yesterday to replace my main work computer. That was a Dimension 8400 and I have upgraded it quite a bit, but it is just getting too slow and iffy for the CAD work even with the Quadro 570 card.

The new one is a Quad Core Xeon with 12 GB memory and dual Quadro 580 graphics cards along with two- 1 terrabyte drives mirrored and lots of bells and whistles. It is just too expensive to lose billable hours every day diue to hardware problems - so YES- blow it out!

I periodically blow out my computers with a vacuum- a computer vacuum that also blows air. I can either suck up the heavy dust accumulations and then blow other things out. It takes a while to do them all. Just in the office I have the three servers and three workstations and just ordered a new Dell Precision 5500 Workstation yesterday to replace my main work computer. That was a Dimension 8400 and I have upgraded it quite a bit, but it is just getting too slow and iffy for the CAD work even with the Quadro 570 card.

The new one is a Quad Core Xeon with 12 GB memory and dual Quadro 580 graphics cards along with two- 1 terrabyte drives mirrored and lots of bells and whistles. It is just too expensive to lose billable hours every day diue to hardware problems - so YES- blow it out!

Erm, I have no idea what you are saying but keeping it clean is important. *Blinks and giggles*
I'm a computer idiot but I do know that machines work better if they are maintained. LOL.

vacuum that also blows air. I can either suck up the heavy dust accumulations and then blow other things out.

Reminds me of:
spaceballs_large_15.jpg

Spaceballs_moves.gif

Back