Quantcast

Blew up my office with 1 gal bottle bomb

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Ryan S

Junior
Reaction score
Oops. Glass embedded in the wall, dent in the fridge, this was intense, I'm glad it blew over night!

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipN7GVx1iJPO9y4uI9YbJCakdrQfct4MF393h6rI4Qvo40Vtt_LdB-p-7-8X780FUw?key=R3ZWMGRsMU1lODZNQ2thTXVnbzVKa2NOd0tmd1p3

Defused the remaining few 12-ounce bottles from that batch. To my credit, I knew this carboy was hot and I had left the lid off for a few days, then put it in the fridge. The fridge was full, I didn't even consider that it could fully re-carbonate overnight -- but boy, did it ever!

Ryan S

Junior
Reaction score
Perhaps you should share what you did, so those of us who like to remain among the living and not a member of the Night King's Army might know what not to do. I am glad no one was injured by this.
EC1118, stuck fermentation (I had let it sit for 4 weeks, no progress), still pretty sweet (SG 1.050 or so). Was still deciding what to do with it, stupidly put a cap on it to move it around and left it for a few days: moving the jug must have shaken it up enough to get it going again.

cmason1957

CRS Sufferer
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
O'Fallon, MO - Just NorthWest of St. Louis, MO
EC1118, stuck fermentation (I had let it sit for 4 weeks, no progress), still pretty sweet (SG 1.050 or so). Was still deciding what to do with it, stupidly put a cap on it to move it around and left it for a few days: moving the jug must have shaken it up enough to get it going again.
Lesson learned. It's amazing how much pressure it was able to generate to blow up a carboy.

Reaction score
:f1
Oops. Glass embedded in the wall, dent in the fridge, this was intense, I'm glad it blew over night!

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipN7GVx1iJPO9y4uI9YbJCakdrQfct4MF393h6rI4Qvo40Vtt_LdB-p-7-8X780FUw?key=R3ZWMGRsMU1lODZNQ2thTXVnbzVKa2NOd0tmd1p3

Defused the remaining few 12-ounce bottles from that batch. To my credit, I knew this carboy was hot and I had left the lid off for a few days, then put it in the fridge. The fridge was full, I didn't even consider that it could fully re-carbonate overnight -- but boy, did it ever!

Ryan S

Junior
Reaction score
The surviving 4 gallons of this batch going into bottles :h These will be pasteurized / refrigerated more carefully

Attachments

Latest posts