Blending

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineview

Still waiting.........
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thinking about September and what I want to make. I’ve decided to only buy two varietals. One being Cabernet Sauvignon. What would you blend with the cab?

Can you explain left bank and right bank?
Now maybe my math is not correct but if I do 75/25 and 75/25 both ways, how is there anything leftover?
thanks.

The Bordeaux region in France has a river flowing through. The weather and terroir make the region unique where the left bank and right bank make Bordeaux with different blend ratios.
My edit happened as you were answering. If I do 75/25 and 75/25 both ways, how is there anything leftover?

Those are percentages. If you bottle the first gallon of each as a pure varietal, then split the remainder. You may prefer a 75/25 Cab, but a 60/40 Merlot. You might have to open Excel to do the math.

Those are percentages. If you bottle the first gallon of each as a pure varietal, then split the remainder. You may prefer a 75/25 Cab, but a 60/40 Merlot. You might have to open Excel to do the math.
Ok. That is assuming I ferment separately. I prefer to ferment the blended juices.

The best answer to "what do I blend with Cab Sauv?" is "yes". I don't know if there's any red Vinifera that doesn't blend well with Cab Sauv.

However, I agree with all previous posts that Merlot is the most iconic. Depending on how much wine you're making, you might try numerous blends, e.g., 100% Cab Sauv, 0% Merlot -- then 75/25, 50/50, 25/75, and 100/0.

You might like one blend more than others, but you'll get no disappointments.

The best answer to "what do I blend with Cab Sauv?" is "yes". I don't know if there's any red Vinifera that doesn't blend well with Cab Sauv.

However, I agree with all previous posts that Merlot is the most iconic. Depending on how much wine you're making, you might try numerous blends, e.g., 100% Cab Sauv, 0% Merlot -- then 75/25, 50/50, 25/75, and 100/0.

You might like one blend more than others, but you'll get no disappointments.
Does it make a tremendous difference if I blend after primary is complete? That would make dividing into carboys a lot easier.

Yes, it makes a huge difference. What are you trying to accomplish, or what are your constraints?

It gives you tremendous flexibility if you ferment separately and blend after. That is the recommendation IMHO.

Yes, it makes a huge difference. What are you trying to accomplish, or what are your constraints?

It gives you tremendous flexibility if you ferment separately and blend after. That is the recommendation IMHO.
I’ve done it both ways and didn’t notice much of a taste difference. I agree, ferment and then blend is a lot easier. I wanted to hear others experience.

Does it make a tremendous difference if I blend after primary is complete? That would make dividing into carboys a lot easier.
The short answer is "yes", when you blend makes a difference. The long answer is "all choices work".

One option is to ferment and bulk age all varietals separately, and blend at some point down the road -- 3 to 24 months after fermentation completes. This gives you the best control over the final result. You can make blends with as little as 1% of a given varietal.

Me? I don't have the storage space to do that, so I field blend -- my 2020's were fermented in 4 batches -- 2 Merlot, 1 Zinfandel, and 1 Vinifera Blend (Cab Sauv, Cab Franc, Malbec, Petit Verdot). Post fermentation I blended the 4 batches into two:

1) 66.7% free run Merlot, 33.3% free run Vinifera Blend. 2) 40% Merlot, 40% Zinfandel, 20% Vinifera Blend. These were bottled in February and I'm highly pleased with both. Could I have made better if I bulk aged for 6 months then blended? Don't know and at this point, don't care. I produced a result I'm pleased with and don't waste time looking back.

The enemy of "good" is not "bad". The true enemy is "better".

For 2021 my grape purchase was scotched, so I made a triple batch of FWK Super Tuscan, and a field blend of FWK Syrah, Petite Sirah, & Merlot. So far we like the Super Tuscan better, but it's not by a lot. This will be another win for this team. :)

My advice is to do what you need to do, and don't sweat it. If you like the result, you have succeeded.

The short answer is "yes", when you blend makes a difference. The long answer is "all choices work".

One option is to ferment and bulk age all varietals separately, and blend at some point down the road -- 3 to 24 months after fermentation completes. This gives you the best control over the final result. You can make blends with as little as 1% of a given varietal.

Me? I don't have the storage space to do that, so I field blend -- my 2020's were fermented in 4 batches -- 2 Merlot, 1 Zinfandel, and 1 Vinifera Blend (Cab Sauv, Cab Franc, Malbec, Petit Verdot). Post fermentation I blended the 4 batches into two:

1) 66.7% free run Merlot, 33.3% free run Vinifera Blend. 2) 40% Merlot, 40% Zinfandel, 20% Vinifera Blend. These were bottled in February and I'm highly pleased with both. Could I have made better if I bulk aged for 6 months then blended? Don't know and at this point, don't care. I produced a result I'm pleased with and don't waste time looking back.

The enemy of "good" is not "bad". The true enemy is "better".

For 2021 my grape purchase was scotched, so I made a triple batch of FWK Super Tuscan, and a field blend of FWK Syrah, Petite Sirah, & Merlot. So far we like the Super Tuscan better, but it's not by a lot. This will be another win for this team. :)

My advice is to do what you need to do, and don't sweat it. If you like the result, you have succeeded.
Did you introduce MLF to any of these blends?

Anyone blend at pour time? ie) decant 2 different vinos in same decanter at once

Cheers!

Thinking about September and what I want to make. I’ve decided to only buy two varietals. One being Cabernet Sauvignon. What would you blend with the cab?

I don't know where you are or how much choice you get, but I would buy the nicest grapes you can, regardless of variety. For instance if the Syrah looks awesome and the Cabernet looks like it was picked a month ago, skip the Cabernet and make the syrah. If you have to pre-order, that's difficult.

Anyway, don't get too hug up on it. Have clean and complete fermentation, and good winery practices and you will in the end be happy with what you make. It's hard for me to make blending decisions when the wine is young. All that tannin and young wine taste takes a long time to settle down, and so blending two young wines is at best a guess. Fortunately, wine is very forgiving and as long as you start with nice grapes you usually end up with a good product.

cab is a great grape - all on its own 100%- if and say if done properly and u get a great vintage - dam there's nothing like it
- i did a 2009 (which i'm still drinking now) was an absolute beauty
i am bottling this weekend my 2019 cab sav and Syrah blend -which was co-fermented
once u start making more blends u will get to know what u like - and u have the notes the percentages - then u can co-ferment together later down the road - at the beginning ferment separate - do bench trails and see what u like
after 34 years of wine making - i like to co-ferment certain blends that i like
- its like when cook is adding all the spices together at the beginning and letting them all blend in together
wine making there's no right or wrong - the only wrong is not being clean - sanitize everything - i am a little over board on that but that's ok - and i aways MLF
- i cannot stress enough about being clean - if not it can totally change ur wine to the worst

Latest posts

Back