Blending wines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still have the Bravado you gave me!

Perfect! Just keep doing what your doing. It is a good wine- entered in 2 competitions and 2 silver medals earned. That was my 1st quality kit and 1st attempt to age properly. Turning 2yrs old this week!
But in spite of that I’m still met with a “chemical type taste” upon opening. As of a few months ago it was still there. Hard to describe it. But other people who notice it aren’t put off by the taste. I am though. I can’t enjoy it till it’s gone.
Decanting for a bit did the trick. Basically knocked it away completely. Your wine was enjoyed already. The infamous spiteful Amarone fight fully detailed in the “other people’s wines” thread lol. Good times.

Interesting. There’s another member on WMT, @NorCal, who has discussed this happening to his GSM blend. Fermentation stopped a little short—maybe 1.002ish IIRC. Disappointed at first, the wine ended up benefiting from the little bit of residual sugar and was one of his best wines in his opinion.
If mine id probably let it get some age and not make any decisions until the summer. Maybe a touch of French oak could give that sweetness more complexity. Then maybe keep half as is and use the other half to tinker with blends (depending on amount).
*edit- since it is a Chianti you’ve got tons of options IMO. Grenache sounds interesting, but all the typical heavy hitters would work too. Basically you can do whatever the hell ya want!

@Ajmassa5983 you have GREAT recall! You've pulled out some of my info before and I was amazed you remembered (or searched)! Maybe it's the wine.....

I usually start my wines in mid September and bottle around mid April. How long do you guys bulk age your wines before bottling?
Usually start in September as you do (sometimes mid to late August) and bottle July/August. Lately though, we started aging for another year. Our whites are fast - September Crush and a March Bottling.

I'm usually about 11.5 months. The reason for that is I need to bottle to make room for the next vintage. Would go longer if I had more carboys. My grape wines spend anywhere from 3-6 months in 23 liter neutral barrels.
I think many of us let the "logistics" guide when we do things. Same with blending.....if it taste reasonable and it works with what you have available, it often goes that way. Sometimes it's ideal and other times it's "close" to ideal.

@Ajmassa5983 you have GREAT recall! You've pulled out some of my info before and I was amazed you remembered (or searched)! Maybe it's the wine.....

Remembered [emoji6] I’ve got a rap sheet on everyone!
It was committed to memory because I had this happen to me with a 2017 wine (x2 actually), and hearing your guys’ situation was reassuring at the time. One of those stands alone and ready to bottle now. The other— still needs work.
Full disclosure - initially I thought it was a Cab Franc. Edited to GSM after NorCal replied.

Latest posts

Back