blending wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gordonm

Reaction score
I have a little bit of Marquette and a little bit of Frontenac gris, about enough to make three gal. if combined. One red and one white. What happens if I combine a red and white, will I get a horrible taste, or smell or something like out of the syfy channel.

I have a little bit of Marquette and a little bit of Frontenac gris, about enough to make three gal. if combined. One red and one white. What happens if I combine a red and white, will I get a horrible taste, or smell or something like out of the syfy channel.

I'd try it, who knows, you may end up with something very different. I don't think blending reds and whites is taboo.

One of the best pieces of advice I've gotten in the home brew beer world is to think of brewing as you would cooking. You are making something that suits YOUR pallet.

Many traditional wine styles are a combination of red and white. Usually it is predominantly red, with a bit of white, like 90/10 or 85/15. (Think Northern Rhone, or old-style Chianti.) Ratios aside, this proves the point that nothing awful will happen.

If your grape quantities allow,I would make two batches - one red and one white. When they are done and ready to drink / bottle, I would then blend the wines to your taste.

For many years, our family made a blend of Zinfandel and Muscat grapes in a 3 to 1 ratio. It was a very good tasting wine and I replicate it today, to the best of my ability, by making batches of Zinfandel and Muscat and blending them in the same ratio. The traditional way was to co-ferment the juice and skins. Also, depending on the price and quality of grapes available in any particular year, my grandfather would use Alicante in place of the Zinfandel but Zinfandel was preferred.

Petite Sirah is usually the “and also” wine in a blend, adding body, tannins and color to wines dominated by another varietal. But, yes - Cab, Zin, Merlot... all good.

@ceeaton and I blended an OVZ and PS in a half n half blend. Very nice. They were 2016 grapes and the wine still needs time.

Only one way to know how you’re doing with the blend - tasting trials. Have fun and mix it up.

Latest posts

Back