Blending Potassium Carbonate and Bicarbonate

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dannit

Junior
Reaction score
Hello all, simple question (I think):

I have a batch of red wine about 5 weeks into malolactic fermentation a small amount of which I would like to blend into a fresh batch which just completed alcoholic fermentation in order to inoculate the fresh batch with the malolactic bacteria from the last batch. But back when I made that first batch I was using Potassium Carbonate for raising the pH (my grapes were pretty acidic) and on the current batch I ended up using Potassium Bicarbonate instead. Somewhere on the interwebs I think I remember reading that it is not a good idea to blend wine made with the one chemical with wine made with the other. But I haven't been able to find where I read that.

Is this a bad idea? And if it is a bad idea to blend them at this stage, then would it be okay to blend them after fining and cold stabilizing?

I've never read that. Maybe you are thinking of calcium + potassium (bi)carbonate as an issue?
It is possible to use a combination of acid reduction methods, but remember that you cannot combine both calcium and potssium carbonate or bicarbonate treatments without considering the effect of whichever one you used first. In other words you cannot take a 0.4% reduction with calcium carbonate and then a 0.2% reduction with potassium bicarbonate – use of one precludes the other.

https://www.thebeveragepeople.com/deacidification-wine-potassium-bicarbonate.html

Latest posts

Back