Blending kit and grape wine???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knockabout

Reaction score
Happy Sunday!
Can I blend a kit wine with a red wine made from grapes? I made a tan at last year From grapes and am getting ready to bottle it has gone through MLF and is still lacking something on the mid palate.blending with a kit wine I had in a carboy seems to improve this - I’ve added cellaring tannins etc but wasn’t sure if mlb from tanner would do something weird with kit wine over time? I appreciate your thoughts,
Cheers!

in theory mlf of a kit wine is not recommended because of the malic acid buffering accomplished. if done the wine is flabby. I would consider it a risk to blend a kit wine with a grape wine that has gone through MLF.

One thought is to blend enough to fill a 750 ml bottle. Airlock it and put it aside for a month or two. If you like it? Great! If you don't? You have a bottle of cooking wine ...

I’ve added MLB to a kit wine and it didn’t do anything (per the chromography or taste). Therefore I think the fears of the kit becoming unbalanced due to MLF may be overstated. This is however, just one data point..

Latest posts

Back