Blending Different Aged Wines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjgaul

Carboy Addict
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now that I have a little time and experience under my belt I've been experimenting with parsing out batches into small quantities and blending various kits together, along with employing several of JoesWines techniques. In doing so I am often mixing together wines that are a range of ages from 1 month to 1 year. After blending, I generally allow about six weeks of co-mingling in a carboy before bottling.

I was wondering if there are any drawbacks and/or benefits to this type blending in terms of age-ability and oxidation. So far I've had good results tastewise, but I don't have any blends that are more than a few months in the bottle.

All thoughts and opinions are welcome.

Now that I have a little time and experience under my belt I've been experimenting with parsing out batches into small quantities and blending various kits together, along with employing several of JoesWines techniques. In doing so I am often mixing together wines that are a range of ages from 1 month to 1 year. After blending, I generally allow about six weeks of co-mingling in a carboy before bottling.

I was wondering if there are any drawbacks and/or benefits to this type blending in terms of age-ability and oxidation. So far I've had good results tastewise, but I don't have any blends that are more than a few months in the bottle.

All thoughts and opinions are welcome.

Blending very young wines would seem to me to be difficult, as they’ve not achieved their ultimate flavor profile, I’d be unsure what characteristics from a particular young wine would be advantageous to the blend. Other than that difficulty, there’s nothing technically wrong with blending wines from different vintages, as long as they are in good shape.

This blending is done commercially all the time. I noticed this recently looking for a bottle of chateuneuf du pape and saw no vintage on the label. After looking up I learned the vintages can range many many years.
Since then I’ve taken notice of many similar multi vintage blends.
Blending 1month old wine sounds pretty daring to me, but hey, it’s your wine go fo it!

Back