Blending Chilean Reds

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjd

Wine Lover
Reaction score
This weekend our sleepy little town of around 4,700 people swelled to nearly 100,000 people to attend Franklin's annual Applefest. It seemed like a great time to retire to the winery until things return to normal. I had 18 gallons each of Zinfandel, Petite Syrah, Cabernet Sauvignon, Sangiovese and Merlot.

Today's blend, 37.5% Petite Syrah, 32.25% Cabernet Sauvignon, 32.25% Merlot. This stuff is fantastic! It is so dark its almost impossible for light to shine through it. I think I will call it Vino de la magia negra or Black Magic Wine. I'm not sure I can leave this one alone for a year or two.

The second blend of the day, 75% Sangiovese, 12.5% Cabernet Sauvignon, 12.5% Merlot. Technically since this is 75% single varietal wine it can be labeled as Sangiovese.

I've really never blended much before and really believe that each wine was improved with the blending. I still have six more carboys to go but they will have to wait until next weekend.

I have 27 gallons of Lodi Sangiovese juice in the secondary right now I also have 2 WE kits 1 merlot and 1 cab sauvignon I think ill make the two kits and make a blend myself thanks for the good idea pjd

Latest posts

Back