Blending Cab / merlot, No MLF, MLF question.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpftribe

Junior
Reaction score
I have a pail of cab sav and a pail of merlot and I definitely plan on blending some portions of these down the road. Both are in latter stages of fermentation, cab at 1.012 and Merlot at 1.010.

After tasting both, I kinda like where the cab is at but would definitely want to MLF the merlot. If I only do the merlot and later blend, will that kick off further ML fermentation for the cab portion? Both will have been dosed with Kmeta by then. I know not to use sorbate with MLF so I will not dose either with it.

Both taste great already right out of the fermenter. Looking forward to playing with these. I have some med french oak cube that will go into both now.

Thanks in advance.

Go Tribe!

It depends on the strain of MLB you use. Some are quite tolerant of sulfite. To be safe, I'd either MLF both of them, or neither of them - unless you have some means to sterile filter them.

It depends on the strain of MLB you use. Some are quite tolerant of sulfite. To be safe, I'd either MLF both of them, or neither of them - unless you have some means to sterile filter them.

Thanks. I'm going to MLF both of them today.

I would mlf both, but if you decide that you do not want to, raising the SO2 to 50 ppm (a level beyond the tolerance of most MLB) would help to ensure that MLF does not kick back off.

Latest posts

Back