Quantcast

Blending All Grape and Juice Wines

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

mainshipfred

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm trying to do some barrel management for getting my 2018 spring wines in barrels. I have 6.5 gallons of an all grape SA Cab Sauv in a somewhat neutral barrel. I also have 5 gallons of a of a 6 gallon juice bucket of the same that I used all the skins from the grape batch to ferment. I only have 5 gallons because it was a very light press, mostly free run. I want to place the barreled wine in a new 8 gallon barrel and top it up with the juice and skin wine. I don't want jeapordize the all grape but both are very good. I'm going to use the rest of the 5 gallons to blend with a Malbec and a Merlot which are 7 gallons in glass right now. Again it's barrel management but I don't want to jeapordize a quality wine. Advice or recommendations.

pgentile

Still learning
Reaction score
I'm trying to do some barrel management for getting my 2018 spring wines in barrels. I have 6.5 gallons of an all grape SA Cab Sauv in a somewhat neutral barrel. I also have 5 gallons of a of a 6 gallon juice bucket of the same that I used all the skins from the grape batch to ferment. I only have 5 gallons because it was a very light press, mostly free run. I want to place the barreled wine in a new 8 gallon barrel and top it up with the juice and skin wine. I don't want jeapordize the all grape but both are very good. I'm going to use the rest of the 5 gallons to blend with a Malbec and a Merlot which are 7 gallons in glass right now. Again it's barrel management but I don't want to jeapordize a quality wine. Advice or recommendations.
If it was my wine and the juice bucket wine stood up to the all grape I would blend. And of course if I liked the blend. Good luck with the new 8 gl, can't wait to get my mitts on mine.