Blackberry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that what the recipe calls for NIKKI? 1.08 or so? That sounds about right.

That will give you right around 11%abv but the sg will probably go up just a tad after the fruit trelease theirn sugars overnight which will bring it to probably around 1.085 unless your simple syrup wasnt mixed in thoroughly.

Sounds good, I am pretty excited about this whole base idea, I will need to see what Sue is carrying at the LHBS. I seen a couple cans there the other day but didn't really pay attention to what they were.

I did see she hat them priced at almost 40 skins, but she told me she would try to match any price I could get from a wine making suply on line. Nice to be friends with the owners of the brew shop!!!!

Yep thats why I like being a moderator on FineVineWines, I get a moderator discount and free shipping! Even then though this little ole lady near me cant be beat. She is so under priced thats its hard to believe she makes any money off this stuff. I get the RJS Winery series grape skin kits for about $85 and that my friend cant be beat anywhere in the world that I can find!

troy, the recipie doesnt have a starting SG, its got a recomended SG to transfer at but nothing to start :( kinda threw me off !

Okay then, you can get out of the corner than.

Really, no recommended SG? Odd, think they would have at least gave a suggested starting point.

Its not really a beginner wine making juice. Its not a kit. You need all your own supplies like acid and that stuff so you should knpw at that point what a decent starting sg should be for as fruit wine and how to test for acid adjustmant and the such.

Yeah you're right Wade, but I would still thing they would MENTION an SG though.

So you didn't answer me on whether or not you have heard of these Alexanders Grape Concentrates, diluted, would these be somewhat comperable to the juice buckets some of you talk about? Obviously shipping a 5 gallon bucket of juice up here just aint going to happen. I assume these concentrates are pretty much what you would find in a kit.

Ive answered this exact question quite a few times on many forums actually. They are not good ecxept for making a blend with a fruit wine, by them selves I think they are nasty!

Hey guys and gals, I started a batch of blackberry from vintners harvest back in Jan.Still aging in carboy,have racked a couple of times. I snuck a few sips when racking and its great so far.I like mine kinda strong so mine is about 15% .I also have a batch of vintners harvest strawberry going both are three gal.The strawberry is about 14%.Already have a can of the black current to try next. I have tasted wine made from these bases and its really good. So my oppinion is they are worth it.

I agree with Greg on these, they are a damn good product but you should know how to measure sg and acidity as the instructions always seem a little off in these two areas as far as the recipe goes. I find the Black currant to be the best of them all with the Blackberry and Cranberry being a close second. In this area I live in there arent many places to get cheap fruits like Tom gets or some others where blackberries grow in your gutters or like Maine where Blueberries grow rampant. So these are the shnizzle most of the time for me with a decent bang for the buck.

Great recommendations! I too am envious of some in here who have access to fruit. We have lots of berries here but for the amount needed to make a decent batch of wine, I just don't think it is worth fighting off or even worrying about the bears. Picking some for pancakes or something, but I am not going to pursue picking them for wine.

These bases seem right up my alley. Besides picking berries takes time. All of our time is worth something.

Sounds like laziness to me. I spend 1/2 my summer out picking various fruits that are available in the middle of pricker bushes and come out bleeding like a stuck pig and eaten by mosquito's. I even encountered a skunk in which it sprayed last year but didnt come out of its hole to get me. I think it was sorry it did that since it basically just sprayed its hole! If Im not in a pile pof prickers tehn Im hanging out of a crab apple tree torn up by all the small branches cause its scorching hot and Im sweating like crazy with shorts on. I spend a lot of time out there just to save a few bucks. I gathered enough fruit from this to make a 6 gallon batch of Elderberry, a 6 gallon batch of crab apple(I also helped my buddy gather up enough fpr his 6 gallon batch of crab apple), a 12 gallon batch of raspberry, a 3 gallon batch of blackberry and a 3 gallon batch of Dandelion! Time is money saved!!!!!!!!!

WADE! we don't have any fruit here! Rhubarb grows here, but its not really fruit. I'm not lazy by any means! But to pick enough raspberries for example to make a 6 galon batch of wine would take far longer than if I just earned the money and bought the bases!

I can get the skunk smell off of me but couldn't recover by being nailed by a bear. We have grizzlies here and they just don't play around!

Berries or Bears?

Want to find yourself in this position or just buy the bases? LOL.

Bear.jpg

Back