Blackberry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
I started a Blackberry from Vintners Harvest wine bases today(2 per 6 gallon) These come out pretty darn good, not as good as real fresh fruit but I didnt get enough to make a batch this year and what I did gather ended up in a big blend with Elderberries that is coming out just awesome. Ive made this batch before and will say its the next best thing to fresh fruit so if you cant get fresh get this. I have never tried Walkers Fruit basket juices before though and have heard good things but the shipping to me is way too much.

I get them locally but many places sell them. Nobody beats my local little store though!

I also started the Vintners Harvest blackberry about 3 weeks ago. Someone else also said it was one of their best juices.

Of all of them the Black Currant is the best so far to date but I still havent tried them all. I want to try the Boysenberry soon. I have a Blueberry to do also.

I have the blackberry in the secondary now, and just purchased 2 cans of the cranberry to make 6 gallons. I have heard the cranberry is supposed to be good also.

wade, i just started this one today. how did yours end up and do you still have your notes?? wanna see if i got a good SG..i know bad girl but i havnt kept trak of SG up till now!!! (i know, nose in corner LOL)

i got a SG of 1.08 will that do? this is before yeast, i JUST made it. ill take another readng tomorrow bf i add the yeast i guess....

wade, i just started this one today. how did yours end up and do you still have your notes?? wanna see if i got a good SG..i know bad girl but i havnt kept trak of SG up till now!!! (i know, nose in corner LOL)

i got a SG of 1.08 will that do? this is before yeast, i JUST made it. ill take another readng tomorrow bf i add the yeast i guess....

Man, I would like to know what you have in that corner. You have been way to willing to keep going back there today :).

Blackberry is strong enough to except a higher sg so dont fret it on this one if its higher. Mine is still aging in the carboy and ready to sweeten, as a matter of fact I was going to sweeten it today or tomorrow but the flavor is right there as is the bouquet.

Are guys talking about the 96oz cans? The cheapest I seen those was like 35 dollars a can, if you are using two, it seems like you could darn near get fresh fruit for close to the same cost. Not me, fruit is just outrageous here most of the time. Been wanting to try these bases, this post is an inspiration for me to go ahead and try them.

Well first of you would be paying a lot more then that for fresh blackberries anywhere near me! 2nd of all I get those Vintners Harvest cans for $25 at this little ole lady's shop near me but anywhere else they are much more. they are the wine base cans, not the fruit puree so they have lots of fresh juice in there and the fruit also but unsweetened.

heck i paid 40 bucks for the can!!! i only got one, and im doing 3 gallons, so it didnt hit to hard, ive only one wine shop "near" me and it is an hour and a half away! didnt feel like shopping around LOL!!

I'dbe interested to the the recipe you all are using when using these bases. Up until now there hasn't been much mentioned in here for using them.

Troy, the recipe is right on thje can, actually there are 2 recipes, 1 for a heavy body which is 1 can per 3 gallon recipe and another for a lighter body which is 1 c an per 5 gallon recipe. I recommend the heavy body one for all of these cans or 2 pewr 6 gallon batch.

Excellent, I definitely need to seriously consider these. As I have often said, fruit here is just crazy expensive, if you say blackberries are spendy over there, I can only imagine they would be like probably 10 times the cost here, no kidding. I'll take a look at this for sure.

I was looking in the Northern brewer catalog and they sell the Alexander Grape Concentrates, ever used those?

i did the heavy recipie :) i lvoe its right on the can. I took my xacto knife and cut it out, tapped it in my "wine journal" so i know what i made, and am writting my notes there

i had a sip of it after taking the SG, its HELLA sweet!!! WOW! but its got a good flavor and i think once it dries out a bit itll be fantastic!

What abv do you shoot for on these. I am no longer interested in making rocket fuel, but I am not going to settle for 9 or 10%.

Actually you mean 1.080 but even so, if you don't know what it means, it may time for you to return to the corner with the little book that came with your hydrometer! LMAO!

Latest posts

Back