Blackberry wine - yeast recommendations

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rappatuz

Reaction score
Making blackberry wine was not in my plans for the summer/fall, but I happened to discover a very vital thorny "bush" (it's kind of monsterous) in my neighborhood. I've been picking it somewhat regularly since late august and now have just over 4 kgs (9+ pounds). I plan on using 600 g/liter (~5 lbs/gallon).

I guess I'm going for a somewhat full bodied red.

So, what yeast should I use?

RC-212 and R56 sounds like good choices, as does VR21, but I haven't ever used any of them as I've only a year of wine making under my belt.

Making blackberry wine was not in my plans for the summer/fall, but I happened to discover a very vital thorny "bush" (it's kind of monsterous) in my neighborhood. I've been picking it somewhat regularly since late august and now have just over 4 kgs (9+ pounds). I plan on using 600 g/liter (~5 lbs/gallon).

I guess I'm going for a somewhat full bodied red.

So, what yeast should I use?

RC-212 and R56 sounds like good choices, as does VR21, but I haven't ever used any of them as I've only a year of wine making under my belt.

RC-212 can be a little finicky and prone to H2S problems, if you feed it well you should be just fine, keep an eye (nose) on it. You might also consider K1-V1116, which is considered a really good yeast for fruit wines, plus it's a little less picky. I've not done a lot of fruit wines, probably under 15, but have used K1-V1116 on the vast majority of them.

If you think that the yeast will make much of a difference, make two identical batches, each with a different yeast. After a year, taste the two and decide - then YOU will know.

RC-212 can be a little finicky and prone to H2S problems, if you feed it well you should be just fine, keep an eye (nose) on it. You might also consider K1-V1116, which is considered a really good yeast for fruit wines, plus it's a little less picky. I've not done a lot of fruit wines, probably under 15, but have used K1-V1116 on the vast majority of them.

I'm going to use the K1-V1116 in a rose hip Port style wine I'll probably start this weekend. It's cool because I'll combine new rose hips with a rose hip wine I started last December that's really ready to be bottled. The wine will be made with rose hips from two years.

Agree with JohnD

Seems like a popular choice. Thanks!

If you think that the yeast will make much of a difference, make two identical batches, each with a different yeast. After a year, taste the two and decide - then YOU will know.

Don't have enough for two batches. Maybe someday I'll make a comparison like that.

I recently started a blackberry wine and researched before starting. Based on that I went with 71B, it helps with the malic acid in blackberries. Here's the description.
The 71B Lavin strain is a rapid starter with a constant and complete fermentation between 59° and 86°F that has the ability to metabolize high amounts (20% to 40%) of malic acid. In addition to producing rounder, smoother, more aromatic wines that tend to mature quickly, it does not extract a great deal of phenols from the must so the maturation time is further decreased.

The 71B Lavin strain is used primarily by professional winemakers for young wines such as vin nouveau and has been found to be very suitable for blush and residual sugar whites. For grapes in regions naturally high in acid, the partial metabolism of malic acid helps soften the wine. The 71B also has the ability to produce significant esters and higher alcohol, making it an excellent choice for fermenting concentrates. 5 gram pack for 5 gallons.

Latest posts

Back