Blackberry wine recipe?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rymily

Reaction score
Our second batch of wine is going to be Blackberry. We have 3 pounds of Oregan brand Blackberry puree. Does anyone have a good recipe they'd like to share??

1 gallon recipe
1 -49 0z can
1 3/4 lbs of sugar
1/2 tsp of pectic enzyme
1/2 tsp of acid blend
1 tsp of nutrient
5 pints of water
1 packet of Lalvin 71B-1112 or Red Star Coes Des Blanc

Also - in the recipe above, do you mean 1 and 3/4 lbs sugar, or just 3/4 lb sugar?

1.75 lbs I would really go with the 71B 1112 as it will help eat up more of the malic acid that Blackberries are very high in but in reality any yeast will work but some are suited better for different wines as you probably know.

Will this produce 1 gallon?

I have another gallon jug I want to make for our third batch of wine (check out my orange-wine thread.)

Worried (stuck fermentation?)

It has been about 3 days since I added the yeast Lalvin 71B-1112. The rubber stopper on the lid of the primary fermenter (6+ gallons) broke off at the end of our last batch of strawberry wine. We went back to the wine store, and they just recommended to drill a slightly bigger hold and add a small bung to use for the air-lock. I hope no air is being allowed in! The strawberry wine seemed to start frothing and bubbling in the air lock by this point...we are worried!

The strawberry wine seemed to start frothing and bubbling in the air lock by this point...we are worried!
Specific gravities? Start & current.
Temperature? Room & wine.

Visual signs of fermentation are often a waste of time.

I don't think the lid has anything to do with this.

Steve

Original (pre-yeast) hygrometer readings:

13.0 %alc
About 67-69 degrees F in our kitchen, which we have closed off because we don't want our two cats to touch/mess with anything. I will take a reading on the hygrometer again, this is it's fourth day of fermenting (or not?)

Thanks

BTW: the bottom of the air-lock isn't coming out of the bottom of the bung...could this be a problem if it is the lid after all? We are very sterile with equipement, at least I though!

Last edited:
Well, the wine seems to be fermenting well. We tested the SG today and it was down to 1.020. We transfered to the secondary fermenter today as well. Thanks for your help!

It will be a swell wine, I made an sweetening pack for mine by buying 4 10 ounce packages of frozen blackberries and simmered them in a small amount of water with some sugar in a fermenting bag and then sqeezed them very well to extract all the juice and added to my sorbated and sulfited wine when it was dom=ne fermenting and then adjusted the acid to .66 and it is very good at this age already.

It's fizzing and bubbling alot and has that fermentation scent. We siphoned it into the 1 gallon w/ an air lock, and NOW it is bubbling like crazy. It's in a dark closet at room temp.

I plan on using the two 1gal glass containers to siphon between, and after about 4 fermentations I will wrinse out the bottom of an empty semdiment filled 1g. Will this work?

To date: Slight bubbling in air lock of 1gal primary fermenter (after pouring out of 7 gallon tub.)

A lot of sediment lighter in color is staying about half-way up the gallon, even after about a week settled on the dresser.

Any suggestions?

It was in the original 7gallon primary fermentator for a few weeks. I did not put the fruit in a bag like I did with the 24lbs of Strawberries. We just sterilized everything and followed the recipe. I'm excited, I'm glad you like it Wade. And yes, patience is key. I'm going to use my hygrometer and test everything. How many times should I rack it between the two 1gal air locked jugs?

Until it is clear. I usually rack when done fermenting, then add sulfite and sorbate. Ill let that sit for typically 1 month then rack off those lees. The next racking is usually around another 2 months later and again I add sulfite. At this stage it will sit for another 3-4 months before racking typically if it even still has anything to rack off butt I just keep doing this unless it is not clearing at all and at that point I will add Superkleer to clear it up.

Need to add water?

We racked our 1 gallon blackberry wine today and the jug is now about 3/4 full. Do we need to add water to top it off or is it okay to have so much extra room for oxygen? Our reading was at 0.99.

Latest posts

Back