Blackberry Wine Question?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milky7272

Junior
Reaction score
On the afternoon of 7-24 I started 5 gallons of blackberry wine. I followed the recipe to the t. Added all ingredients and waited the 24 hours to add yeat. Added yeast on the morning of 7-26. starting S.G. was 1.10 bout 13% alchol.
The recipe said to wait 5 days then check S.P. when at 1.030 move to secondary and add air lock. I checked it on friday and the S.G. was allready 1.00. This seems way to fast. The must was on my kitchen counter at about 72 degrees. So I went ahead and moved to air lock, and it has air bubbles rising to the top. Its looks a lot like v8 juice just a little darker. Question I have is how, or why did it ferment so fast in my primary bucket. Will this hurt the wine? I know if it gets to hot it will affect the tast but as said this was kept at 72 degrees so Im a little confused. Any kelp would be great, as I am new to this. Thanks

Milky, first of all Welcome to the forum. Your blackberry should be fine. I have had some ferment real fast and others that took longer then normal. You have a good temperature and it sounds like your doing everything right.

welcome milky!
i, too, have had some fast fermentations...
no worries...

okay thnks for the kind words. It has a blood red color and just dosent look like the deep purple colors I have seen before. Maybe after a couple of rackings the color will change.

Blackberry Wine

Do you have the blackberry in a dark closet to preserve colors? If not, have you thought about covering carboy (jug) with a dark cloth or T shirt? I just bottled 4 gallons of blackberry that I started in August, 2009. Good luck.

On the afternoon of 7-24 I started 5 gallons of blackberry wine. I followed the recipe to the t. Added all ingredients and waited the 24 hours to add yeat. Added yeast on the morning of 7-26. starting S.G. was 1.10 bout 13% alchol.
The recipe said to wait 5 days then check S.P. when at 1.030 move to secondary and add air lock. I checked it on friday and the S.G. was allready 1.00. This seems way to fast. The must was on my kitchen counter at about 72 degrees. So I went ahead and moved to air lock, and it has air bubbles rising to the top. Its looks a lot like v8 juice just a little darker. Question I have is how, or why did it ferment so fast in my primary bucket. Will this hurt the wine? I know if it gets to hot it will affect the tast but as said this was kept at 72 degrees so Im a little confused. Any kelp would be great, as I am new to this. Thanks

The V8 color is due to yeast in the must. As the yeast settles after ferment subsides, the color will get back to normal.

I keep the carboy covered with a black plastic bag , to help with the cover. I made red plumb a couple of months ago, and Im really getting to enjoy this.

Latest posts

Back