Quantcast

Blackberry Wine Question?

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

milky7272

Junior
Reaction score
On the afternoon of 7-24 I started 5 gallons of blackberry wine. I followed the recipe to the t. Added all ingredients and waited the 24 hours to add yeat. Added yeast on the morning of 7-26. starting S.G. was 1.10 bout 13% alchol.
The recipe said to wait 5 days then check S.P. when at 1.030 move to secondary and add air lock. I checked it on friday and the S.G. was allready 1.00. This seems way to fast. The must was on my kitchen counter at about 72 degrees. So I went ahead and moved to air lock, and it has air bubbles rising to the top. Its looks a lot like v8 juice just a little darker. Question I have is how, or why did it ferment so fast in my primary bucket. Will this hurt the wine? I know if it gets to hot it will affect the tast but as said this was kept at 72 degrees so Im a little confused. Any kelp would be great, as I am new to this. Thanks

Runningwolf

Super Moderator
WMT Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Milky, first of all Welcome to the forum. Your blackberry should be fine. I have had some ferment real fast and others that took longer then normal. You have a good temperature and it sounds like your doing everything right.

countrygirl

Reaction score
welcome milky!
i, too, have had some fast fermentations...
no worries...

milky7272

Junior
Reaction score
okay thnks for the kind words. It has a blood red color and just dosent look like the deep purple colors I have seen before. Maybe after a couple of rackings the color will change.

vtwinemaker

Reaction score
Blackberry Wine

Do you have the blackberry in a dark closet to preserve colors? If not, have you thought about covering carboy (jug) with a dark cloth or T shirt? I just bottled 4 gallons of blackberry that I started in August, 2009. Good luck.

BobF

Banned
Reaction score
On the afternoon of 7-24 I started 5 gallons of blackberry wine. I followed the recipe to the t. Added all ingredients and waited the 24 hours to add yeat. Added yeast on the morning of 7-26. starting S.G. was 1.10 bout 13% alchol.
The recipe said to wait 5 days then check S.P. when at 1.030 move to secondary and add air lock. I checked it on friday and the S.G. was allready 1.00. This seems way to fast. The must was on my kitchen counter at about 72 degrees. So I went ahead and moved to air lock, and it has air bubbles rising to the top. Its looks a lot like v8 juice just a little darker. Question I have is how, or why did it ferment so fast in my primary bucket. Will this hurt the wine? I know if it gets to hot it will affect the tast but as said this was kept at 72 degrees so Im a little confused. Any kelp would be great, as I am new to this. Thanks
The V8 color is due to yeast in the must. As the yeast settles after ferment subsides, the color will get back to normal.

milky7272

Junior
Reaction score
I keep the carboy covered with a black plastic bag , to help with the cover. I made red plumb a couple of months ago, and Im really getting to enjoy this.