Blackberry Wine Needs Help!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rachell1103

Junior
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I am needing help. I am following a recipe for a 1 gallon blackberry port and after finishing fermentation and removing pulp from wine, I have ended up with more than one gallon of wine and I'm not sure what to do. Do I add more sugar and let it ferment some more? I'd love any help I can get. I want to make sure that the yeast won't die prematurely because it doesn't have enough sugar. It's about to go into secondary fermentation. Thank you!

What I have done is put the extra in a small wine bottle and put in frig, if you have let it ferment to dry. This should be the heavy Lee's left behind if you racked into 1 gal bottle. Let it sit in the frig until you rack the first time and there should be enough to top up the wine from the gal after racking that. I have used the extra heavy Lee's and yeast to start my skeeter pee. The frig will put the yeast into a light sleep so to speak and will be fine.

WINEYOOPR is dead own.
I keep drilled stoppers to fit from a size 11 down to the smallest stopper for a clear wine bottle, since I've never made a kit, I ferment extra every time, so when I put in my first carboy I ussaly have 2 or 3 gallons extra to top off with, if I use part of a gallon I put into smaller bottles and airlock them, that way clean ti finish it is your wine and your wine only, and when time comes to bulk age or bottle, all the smaller airlocked bottles of wine just sit down with a glass and say cheers to al the little extras...
Dawg

If you used a hydrometer to get a good SG before you started then there is nothing to worry about, You had the right amount of sugar in there for the entire 1 gallon Plus.
As Wineyooper said you are golden right now. Save that extra and when you rack the next time you are set to top it off. Plus having it in the fridge means a faster separation of the lees in your extra as well. "Rack" that cold cleared wine off the lees in your spare fridge bottle and save it. (I actually save it and taste it later on so I don't have to disturb the other gallon bottle to check on progress.)

If you are just getting started and have a true 1 gallon bottle you can look at the recycling center for a 4 liter bottle (4 liters = 1 gallon + 7 1/4 ozs) That might accommodate your extra amount perhaps. Any of the "Carlo Rossi" wines and sangrias are sold in 4 liter bottles. Next time you do a batch you can have that back up bottle. Also look for empty 1.5 liter bottles as well. It helps to have few extra bottles of various sizes around and at that along with hounddawg's drilled stoppers can help you avoid any waste of wine - That would be a terrible, terrible thing to do.

Latest posts

Back