Blackberry wine-mistakes but will it work?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCMOMMA

Junior
Reaction score
Hello,

I just made a batch of blackberry wine. I planned to make 1 gallon, so I bagged the berries, poured the boiled sugar water over them and was prepared to pitch the yeast when I recieved another batch of berries unexpectedly. Not having two primary fermenters and being a complete amateur, I thought I would just add the new berries in another bag and pour the boiled sugar water in with the cooled berry water mix. So I did this and added pectin and yeast nutrient and one campden tablet- (which I forgot to double-untill later). I then went to pitch the yeast and it was bubbling, fizzy smelling and tasting. I thought "uh oh" but still added a pack of monratchet yeast as it called for and I added the other campden tablet. When I added the packet of yeast it really bubbled and now it seems to be fermenting. My question is. How do I know if this goes bad? Is there anything more I can do to prevent this. My hydormeter reads 11 percent alcohol after adding the yeast one day ago. Recipie says to wait a week before secondary. Should I be watching the hydrometer readings looking for a smell, flavor etc to tell if this will be salvageable..as it seems it started with a wild yeast? I am not sure if the montratchet will take over or what but I am open to any help or feedback. Thanks!

If its any comfort - I had the same thing last year with black berry and strawberry wines - bubbling away in the fermentation bucket before I had added any yeast. As you did - I chucked in the rest of the ingredients and they both worked out fine - I presume that the strongest yeast won through in the end because neither lacked alcohol!
As a bonus I took some of the mix out - watered it down 50% and bottled it into sparkling mineral water bottles with screw tops and got a delicious fruit champagne after 2 months - I guess its the same as Elderflower champagne which we have been making every spring for years - about 3-4% alcohol but lots of bubbles - I would definately recommend storing them outside though because the bottles swelled for 2 litre to nearly three and a half!

Latest posts

Back