Blackberry wine bitter. Normal?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zack67360

Reaction score
I have made 20 gallons of blackberry wine from berries I picked from domestic berries I grow in my yard. The first 10 gallons which are already in carboys taste fine. The last 10 gallons I made which are still in the primary buckets have a very strong bitter taste. This year I strayed from my normal practice of pureeing the berries, adding potassium metabisulfate and boiled the berries instead.
Has anyone else experienced this bitter taste in their blackberry wine early in the process and does it go away? It seems that the bitter taste isn't as strong today as it was a few days ago. I also have 30 gallons of grape wine which I boiled and none have the bitter taste so it cannot be the boiling process. I do have stink bugs that invade my berry canes, but I don't think I froze any in with my berries prior to boiling.
The first 10 gallons I made was from the first berries that ripened and were nice and plump, the second 10 gallons were smaller, that is the only difference. Also less rainfall in the last 10 gallons.
Thank you,
zack

sometimes the bitter taste can be tannin. in case of blackberry possibly from seeds. if it is reducing in intensity just wait. if not try fining with gelatin.

Yeah, I would just wait it out. Blackberries, especially ones not fully ripe can be pretty intense, and wild berries even more so. Perhaps your berries are now in-breeding with some wild berries making the taste stronger. If so give it some time and a little sugar and it will be FINE WINE.

Thanks for the replies. I feel better now about the two batches, gives me hope it may still turn out.

Latest posts

Back