Blackberry wine acid too high

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewbush

Reaction score
I am currently bulk aging a walkers blackberry wine.
Fermented with Cotes de Blanc
and numbers are 3.38ph and 15g/L TA.

I have NOT rechecked the numbers lately, but these were post fermentation.

The taste is still about the same....there is a tartness to it and definitely something I would like to bring under control.
I did a cold period at 35F for a few weeks to see if I could get acid to drop out of suspension, but even after that the taste is the same.

Any suggestions ?

Brewbush, you say bulk aging, but not how long. It usually takes 18 months or so for the tart to subside in my dark fruit wines. If I need to cut it more I add a touch of tannin (test first to see if you like the results) or back sweeten a bit to balance the tart. I don't like sweet wines at all, but carefully balancing the tart does not taste sweet, just creates a very enjoyable play of flavors.

I've learned to always use 71B yeast when using a predominately malic acid fruit. It cuts that too tart out much earlier.

Pam in cinti

Also, did you backsweeten this wine at all?

By adding some sugar, it will cut down on the tartness from it being dry. The other tartness is from it being young.

No I did not backsweeten.

It has been aging only 3 months so from your description much of that malic acid tartness will fade.

I have it on 1.5oz of American oak, really makes a nice flavor.

My plan to rack every 3 or so months and plan on it fading on its own or backsweeten slightly to take the edge off...thanks all.

Latest posts

Back