Blackberry wine 2021

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Main man

Reaction score
Just pulled out of the freezer my 54 lbs of Blackberrys picked in August. I'm experimenting a little by splitting it in two 5 gallon batches, one with corn sugar, bananas & raisins, the other without. My initial PH readings are 3.7 to 3.9. After reading Jack Kellers book, I thought I would be faced with a low PH but not so. Should I try to adjust the PH at this point and if so, how? I have not added anything else (Acid blend or pectic enzyme) at this point. In the morning I will make all my adjustments including sugar to get my SG around 1.096 - 1.099. Any thoughts on the PH? Any other guidance?

Being frozen and thawed really does a great job of breaking down the pulp, something the pectic enzyme would help with in your primary fermentation. You could add it to help with any potential haziness later on although you may not see any at all with blackberries.

As far as pH goes, it’s best to work within the parameters of the yeast you’re using. I have tried to keep it around 3.4 but some of mine have been as low as 3.2 and others 3.6. If you’re going to do MLF be sure the pH is within the range of the MLB. I inoculated a batch several weeks ago and nothing happened. When I tested the pH it was at 3.2, below the lower margin of CH16. I brought it up to 3.4 and it started within the hour. Amazing…

At the end of the day, decide what you want it to be when you’re done and make the adjustments you need in order to get it there. And make it to what you like, if you’re drinking it. Some pieces will need to fall into the parameters of what you’re working with (yeast, MLB, etc…), some to prevent spoilage and other microorganisms from taking over. Aside from that, enjoy the crafting!

I add pectic enzyme to all fruit wines, as it's a low cost product and doing so eliminates a potential additional step later on. It helps with fruit breakdown, although I don't know if it does more than freezing alone may.

Go cautious on acid additions, as it's much easier to add more later than to take some out. I make this statement often, tongue-in-cheek, but it is literally true.

I make final adjustment to acid base upon taste. I go light, adding a bit at a time, stirring well, then letting the wine rest a few days for the acid to integrate.

The 2020 Sauvignon Blanc my son & I made is a good example. A month before bottling we tasted, and it came across flabby. It was good (great fruit flavor) but lacked a zing. It was aged in a pair of 3 gallon carboys, and we added 1/2 tsp acid blend to each, and waited a week. The difference was remarkable. We considered adding more acid, but decided to sit pat. Five months later, EVERYONE wants a bottle ... and I only have had 15, now down to 12 ...

This is very subjective, as David pointed out. It would be great if there were formulas we could use to decide on adjustments, but wine is far too complex. We can make some decisions on the numbers, but overall? It's subjective -- you need to use your experience -- which takes time and practice to develop. ;)

As suggested, go slow with any pH adjustments. Although normally increasing acidity (Lowering the pH) is usually pretty quick don't go too far. I'd shoot for anywhere between 3.4-3.6. A little lower is not bad but I would not start a ferment with pH above 3.6

Wine ph typically rises a tad during fermentation. Yours is not terribly high or out of kilter. You could add a small amount of tartaric now or wait and see where it settles out post-ferment.

Actually a pH of 3.9 is well out of a safe range. The Acidity will increase during fermentation but that's something I would not rely on to protect your wine. Remember of the 3 elements* that protect your wine, only 1 is going to be present at the start of the ferment and that one is the acidity. Get it right now, before starting the ferment. 3.7 is high but not terribly so but since that the best reading you've gotten that suggests it would be wiser to lower that number (Increase acidity) now rather than counting on the fermentation process to do it for you.

* 1) Acidity, 2) Alcohol, 3) K-Meta
A 4th element, K - Sorbate is needed if the wine has residual fermentable sugars

Latest posts

Back