blackberry steamed juice / brix question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK whats verbose?

Lotsa' words to go with the numbers. I use columnar sheets without special blanks to fill in. Each line, or group of lines, can be anything I wish to note.

Nothing wrong with forms, they just don't fit my free-form nature :)

I got this response to an email query:

"Our juice is single-strength, pure marion blackberry. It is not concentrated or diluted. We purchase the berries frozen and press them ourselves adding potassium metabisulfite & pectic enzymes when crushed. Once pressed, the brix is tested and a liquid sugar is added to raise it to 21.

Each 5 gallon "hotpack" comes with instructions, yeast, & nutrient to add when you start your fermentation. And will make a dry wine between 11 - 12 percent alcohol. You should get about 24 - 750 ml bottles of wine from each 5 gallons.
Each pail weighs 49 pounds.
"

Sounds good to me..

Great info

$78.75 = $15.75 per gallon.

$237.50 for 5g concentrate = $5.79 per gallon. (5g makes 41g)

Not so cut/dried to me. Walker's quoted me $33.50 to ship. If I did that 8 times to get 40g, the shipping alone would be $268 above and beyond the $15.75 price per gallon.

OTOH, If I ordered 8 pails at once, I might get a break on price and shipping.

But thats alot of BB concentrate for one person. Now, if you had a group.. Hmm...
Lets wait for your test..
BTW. the email I sent them was forwarded to 2 "sales" people who have yet to respond.

But thats alot of BB concentrate for one person. Now, if you had a group.. Hmm...
Lets wait for your test..
BTW. the email I sent them was forwarded to 2 "sales" people who have yet to respond.

BTW, in a previous email from Walker's, they said the acid in the BB pails is 1.49 ...

Two of us are planning to split a 5 if the tests are good. Still a lot of concentrate. I may just get a BA fermenter and go for a very large batch if we go this route.

Prior to ordering the sample, I called and spoke to "Rocky". A few days later, I ordered the sample(s) via the web form.

I got nothing back from them via email. 3 or 4 days later I got the package.

Back