Blackberry recipe

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowbird

first timer
Reaction score
20lbs blackberries
5 gallon water
14 lbs sugar
5 tsp yeast nutrient
5 tsp acid blend
6 cambden tablets
petic enzyme 1/4 tsp per gal
after 24 hrs add 1 pkg wine yeast
stir everyday morning & night for 3 days after yeast is added
after 3 days do not touch do not stir
that's where my instructions ended....lo
( It says tickle with 2 quarts water and 2 cups sugar if desired )
Let ya know how it turns out :b

Don't just add any amount of sugar because it calls for it. Add it untill you reach a gravity reading of 1.085 for fruit wines. 14#'s of sugar sounds high for 5 gallon batch
Aslo, its 1/2 tsp of pectic enzyme per gallon.
Remove pulp @ 1.030.
I have no idea whet this means.. ( It says tickle with 2 quarts water and 2 cups sugar if desired )

I agree with the sugar amount that it seems high even though it is a 6 gallon recipe as the sugar and fruit make up the other gallon of volume. I also dont agree with the Not Stirring part after 3 days, as long as there is fruit in there the fruit should be dunked (punched down under the wine) so that it doesnt spoil! If you are going for a Port then the sufar amount is right but the amount of fruit is a little weak.

I have no idea either....I'm fixin to bottle this concasion and start over with a new recipe.I took no readings until today and it looks to be .996 .... The muscadine's are ripe where I'm at....any good recipe suggestions ?.......Thanks for the feedback,....Snowbird

Hey Snowbird

I'm guessing you can use a recipe for a grape wine. I'm thinking a muscadine is a kind of grape. I guess depending on whether its red or pink or white you could search for that particular kind of recipe. Others on here may know more than me about this.

They are a type of grape but you dont want to only use this grape like you would most others. Muscadines and Scuppernongs are very high in acid and need to be diluted. Sacalait, one of our moderators makes a very nice Muscadine so PM him on how to make wine using them. They dont grow up here are not sold up here either or Id be making it myself. :(

I have no idea either....I'm fixin to bottle this concasion and start over with a new recipe.I took no readings until today and it looks to be .996 .... The muscadine's are ripe where I'm at....any good recipe suggestions ?.......Thanks for the feedback,....Snowbird

Shoot for 6-8#'s per gallon. Of course the higher amount of fruit will give a more flavorful wine. Muscadines have plenty of acid so don't add any extra. The wild types will produce a more fruity wine than the domesticated ones so use these if you can find them, if not go with what you've got. Add enough sugar to get the S.G. up to 1.085-1.090 and don't forget the pectic enzyme and K-meta.

Back